Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create Automating Grid Files

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am new to Adobe and am not sure if this is something for illustrator or for indesign but appreciate any help/advice! 

I am trying to create a 10 x 10 grid of equal sized squares and then put different symbols (sizes of either 25, 50 or 100 symbols) inside the squares. Once I do this, I will then want to easily replace those symbols with new symbols and then repeat this process many times. I am trying to make this process less manual as it is currently very tedious.

For example:
I currently have the letters ABC in the first 50 squares, and a smiley face in the next 50. The next step I want to do is replace the ABC squares with a cloud symbol. I don't want the 10 x 10 grid to change, just the symbols inside it (currently just copying and pasting each one)

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts or if you need more details about what I am trying to accomplish!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Sure, a quick example based on your ABC symbol and Cloud symbol situation (assuming both are already symbols/symbol instances):

- Select an ABC symbol instance and go to the Select menu > Same > Symbol Instance command in order to select all ABC symbol instances.

- Go to the Symbols palette and highlight the Cloud symbol.

- In the Symbols palette flyout menu choose the Replace Symbol command.

Is that what you are looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done in both applications, but I would recommend Illustrator in this case.

Illustrator has pretty powerful symbol features. Do you already know Illustrator symbols?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response and great news about illustrator! I have some
familiarity with symbols but would appreciate any more info you could
provide.

Maybe a bullet list of how you would do it (if that's not too big an ask)?

Thanks again you are saving me a ton of time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure, a quick example based on your ABC symbol and Cloud symbol situation (assuming both are already symbols/symbol instances):

- Select an ABC symbol instance and go to the Select menu > Same > Symbol Instance command in order to select all ABC symbol instances.

- Go to the Symbols palette and highlight the Cloud symbol.

- In the Symbols palette flyout menu choose the Replace Symbol command.

Is that what you are looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines