Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I try to make a zentangle dog graphic like this:

zentangle_dog_german_20200218.png

But I tried :

1. Pattern fill, not suit for import to other sofware.

2  Using clipping mask - I cannot clear the unneccesy parts (outside the dog shap) and remove the cliping path

3.Pathfinder - I cannot clear the unneccesy parts (outside the dog shap)

here is orginal image

zen_q1.png

Is there any method to make this done (crop and clear) ?

Thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Katie_Houghton | Adobe Community Professional

So the clipping path still has the content outside of the clipping path which is what is causing the problem becuase the object still exists. If the pattern was a pattern fill you would not have the problem or you can use the Pathfinder instead of using a Clipping path. 

Why it is happening:

What is happening.png

How to fix the clippng path issue:

Step 1: If you have a clipping path, release it Object> Clipping Path> Release or Make/Release Clipping mask in the Layers Panel Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 3.57.26 AM.png

Step 2: Select the pattern and the Clipping Path. (Make sure you have a copy of the Clipping Mask Path to keep for the outline stroke) Once all the items are selected with the non-pattern path on top, Choose the Crop Icon in the Pathfinder Section of the Pathfinder Panel.

Step 3. This is not a step but if you choose the outline view you will see that the path does not exist outside of the original clipping path area. So problem fixed.

How to fix it.png

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to crop an pattern to irregular shape

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I try to make a zentangle dog graphic like this:

zentangle_dog_german_20200218.png

But I tried :

1. Pattern fill, not suit for import to other sofware.

2  Using clipping mask - I cannot clear the unneccesy parts (outside the dog shap) and remove the cliping path

3.Pathfinder - I cannot clear the unneccesy parts (outside the dog shap)

here is orginal image

zen_q1.png

Is there any method to make this done (crop and clear) ?

Thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Katie_Houghton | Adobe Community Professional

So the clipping path still has the content outside of the clipping path which is what is causing the problem becuase the object still exists. If the pattern was a pattern fill you would not have the problem or you can use the Pathfinder instead of using a Clipping path. 

Why it is happening:

What is happening.png

Step 1: If you have a clipping path, release it Object> Clipping Path> Release or Make/Release Clipping mask in the Layers Panel Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 3.57.26 AM.png

Step 2: Select the pattern and the Clipping Path. (Make sure you have a copy of the Clipping Mask Path to keep for the outline stroke) Once all the items are selected with the non-pattern path on top, Choose the Crop Icon in the Pathfinder Section of the Pathfinder Panel.

Step 3. This is not a step but if you choose the outline view you will see that the path does not exist outside of the original clipping path area. So problem fixed.

How to fix it.png

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you ultimately trying to do that you need to delete what is beyond the clipping mask? It seems as if the mask would be the ideal solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

I need to save it to SVG and upload to another sofware which not allow clipping path.

So I need corp it and delete unnecessary and create a coumpound path.

Yes, I need make it simplest graphic - no mask, no pattern fill, only with strokes

Any idea ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, wkcalvin.

Expands a pattern object.
Outline Stroke
Dog objects in the front.
Crop in Pathfinder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why it is happening:

What is happening.png

How to fix it.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

calvin,

With the Clipping Mask selected, what happens if you:

1) Object/Edit>Flatten Transparency, just keep the defaults including 100% Vector;
2) Shudder (optional, unless unavoidable)?

This ought to crop everything to the Clipping Path, with the possible exception of some empty paths, remnants of the pattern tiles that have been cut to fit the Clipping Path, or something similar; if there are such paths, you may:

3) With the Direct Selection Tool, Click an empty spot to deselect, then ClickDrag along and outwards from each side of the former Clipping Path and press Delete (twice) to get (completely)

rid of the empty paths.

With this, everything should be cleaned up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines