• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to crop out one path from another group path?

Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know a little about AI, but not enough in all the areas and I am in need of some help please.

This seems like a no brainer but it is the small things that stump me the most ha ha.

In the photo you see in AI i have the RED ARROW PATH in grey color that I have selected, I would like to then crop or delete that path shape in grey from the bottom black GREEN ARROW GROUP PATH shape.

So essentially once it is cropped out of the black bee antena, you will see through that area to the background white color, just like other areas of the BEE so far.

Thank you

Dean

bee.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Assuming that the green arrow shape and the red arrow shape are both closed paths, and not part of another group, then select them both with the regular selection tool (black arrow) and use Object Menu>Compound Path>Make.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that the green arrow shape and the red arrow shape are both closed paths, and not part of another group, then select them both with the regular selection tool (black arrow) and use Object Menu>Compound Path>Make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those paths are inside groups and they are possible inside different groups?

In that case just trying to create a compound path will give you errors.

You need to first either ungroup the complete thing, but the better solution would be to create a new layer and move those two paths out of their current groups/layers onto the new one. You can just pull them around in the layers panel. Then make the compound path and move it back where it belongs.

You can then delete the other layer. Or keep it for when you need to do the same again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try to select the objects and click on the grey shape with the Shape builder tool (Shift-M) to fill it with None.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines