• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to divide a polar grid with pathfinder tool? (or concentric divider?)

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on how to divide a shape created with the polar grid tool with the pathfinder tool. 

I created a polar grid with 366 sections and want to minus an elipse from the centre to create a doughnut with 366 sections. I filled the polar grid sections (should I not do that?), and hoped I might be able to divide them using a concentric divider, but I can't seem to do that. Then I tried using the divide tool on pathfinder with an elipse over the top of the polar grid - but that doesn't seem to work either.

Very grateful for any advice on how best to achieve the doughtnut with 366 sections! thank you 🙂

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

After you create a your filled Polar Grid:

Choose Object > Live Paint > Make

Choose Object > Live Pant > Expand

Select All and drag with the Alt key depressed with the Shape Builder tool (Shift M) over the center to delete it.

I the Layers panel you will see 2 groups, one with only strokes and one with only fills, maybe you ennd only the filled one and give the filled one a stroke (and delete the stroke only one).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to use Divide, then delete the inner sections. 

Or use the shape builder tool. Select your shapes then alt-drag around the inner sections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug, thank you for your reply. Like I say, divide from pathfinder is not working so I'm doing something wrong. I'll try the shape-builder tool instead. I haven't used it before but I'll have a go 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Divide doing instead? Are you using the Pathfinder panel or the effects menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug, thank you very much for your reply, I am using the pathfinder panel, I get various results - the closest to correct was I got about 5 radial sections as i wanted then a large grouped path, which i continually ungrouped until i wouldn't let me anymore, and i was left with four sections which were about a 5th of the doughnut each. I could use those paths to divide yet another elipse below but it got very confusing. I had to use about 30 elipses and keep dividing to make the path into the small 366 radial sections. And the further away from the correct process I go, the more I worry i might be making mistakes. 

thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

radial grid1.PNG

radial grid2.PNG

radial grid3.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharon,

It may get you out of trouble if you go back to the start, then select only the radial divider group and scale up by just a few percent, then try again.

Or, presuming you are using a new independent concentric divider on top of the polar grid, you can try to only select the new divider, then Object>Path>Divide Objects Below, then use Alt/Option ClickDragging with the Direct Selection Tool and Delete to remove the unwanted inner parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, thank you very much for the reply. I've read your reply a few times and I'm struggling a bit, sorry. When you say scale up by a few percent do you mean make the polar grid little bit bigger? And I am using a brand new separate elipse to try to divide so yes independent from the polar grid. 

I tried your suggestion of object - path - divide objects below (with no fill on the polar grid and then a fill on the polar grid) and neither option worked unfortunately. 

Here are my dimensions: Polar grid 485mm by 485mm, radial dividers 366. No concentric dividers (unless that works better for this, I've tried it and couldn't make it work, but obviously I can be doing any part of this wrong) and no fill (although again I've tried with a fill too) 

On top of this a central elipse of 197mm diameter. I want to deduct the centre elipse or concentric divider to end up with 366 wedge shaped (but with four corners each) sections. Like a massive very precisely cut doughnut. 

Curiously I tried with a simpler polar grid, 20 radial dividers, and no problem, so maybe my number of radial dividers is causing a problem.

Thank you so much for your help, I am trying everything and I must be doing something simple wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you create a your filled Polar Grid:

Choose Object > Live Paint > Make

Choose Object > Live Pant > Expand

Select All and drag with the Alt key depressed with the Shape Builder tool (Shift M) over the center to delete it.

I the Layers panel you will see 2 groups, one with only strokes and one with only fills, maybe you ennd only the filled one and give the filled one a stroke (and delete the stroke only one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ton! Live Paint gave me the shapes i was looking for! yay thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines