• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to divide paths in Illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. So I'm new to adobe illustrator and I'm struggling with something that I assume is easy. The issue I'm having is when I trace something with the pen tool and make an outline path around let's say an animal then when I go back to cut out different parts like ear or foot or anything that would be within the outline path I can't just draw the one line to connect both sides of the ear for a new path with out completely retracing the ear. So is there any easier way to do this that I don't know ?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Syrupp,

Always keep a copy of the original artwork, in this case the whole animal; you may lock/hide it after making the (first) copies of it, then work on one copy at a time with everything else locked/hidden.

To create open shapes out of one or more separate parts, such as ear(s) and foot/feet, you can just Click with the Scissors Tool where you wish to cut them (out). You can close each path afterwards Ctrl/Cmd+J; or you can create it directly as a closed path by ClickDragging with the Li

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Depending on how complex it is, but you might be able to draw the inside part of the shape (assuming it will end up being an enclosed shape) and then use Pathfinder>Divide. Remember it will create a group out of what you divided, but it will allow you to divide and and the new path together, so to speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to post any screenshots of what you are trying to achieve? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to post when I get back to the computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the animal as an example. Make a copy of the entire animal path, then use the eraser tool to separate the ear area from the rest of the path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that but it just seemed less accurate to me. I’ll give it a try again and maybe I didn’t look at it close enough. Is it possible just to do it with the path on a new layer? So that you can just connect the two lines and have the so called ear of the animal as a new selection with out having to manually going around with the pen tool and reselect the entire ear outline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Syrupp,

Always keep a copy of the original artwork, in this case the whole animal; you may lock/hide it after making the (first) copies of it, then work on one copy at a time with everything else locked/hidden.

To create open shapes out of one or more separate parts, such as ear(s) and foot/feet, you can just Click with the Scissors Tool where you wish to cut them (out). You can close each path afterwards Ctrl/Cmd+J; or you can create it directly as a closed path by ClickDragging with the Line Segment Tool between the ends instead of the Scissors Tool; you can delete the unwanted parts afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on how complex it is, but you might be able to draw the inside part of the shape (assuming it will end up being an enclosed shape) and then use Pathfinder>Divide. Remember it will create a group out of what you divided, but it will allow you to divide and and the new path together, so to speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.
Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it.

Thanks,
Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines