How to draw line segments aligned and sized to increments of pixels?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a pixel-perfect drawing workflow in AI. I have the document units set to pixels, "Snap to Pixel" enabled, "Align art to pixel grid on creation and transformation" enabled. When I draw a simple horizontal or vertical line path, neither of the line's two anchor points are on pixel boundaries (grey box at both ends of line instead of solid black). I have to use Object -> Make Pixel Perfect to fix. Fill is none and Stroke Width is set to 1pt.

Even if I create a line by clicking on the art board and entering "1 px" for the length, I get a two pixel-wide grey box instead of a single pixel. if I then apply Object -> Make Pixel Perfect it properly transforms into a single solid-black pixel.

The problem only occurs for odd-numbered stroke widths (1, 3, 5, etc...) and does not occur for even-numbered stroke widths (2, 4, 6, etc...). The pixel snapping works as expected when drawing a rectangular shape, regardless of the stroke width.

What am I doing wrong?

Here is a video demonstration:

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021
Yes, that has been the behaviour at least since CC2017. You may want to report it here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that has been the behaviour at least since CC2017.

You may want to report it here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines