• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit "launch.json" file in VSC (Visual Studio Code) to automatically run current file in AI?

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am moving to VSC for ExtendScript development and have a question about the "launch.json". I read that it can be edited to target a specific application when running a script. But I can't find instructions for "How" to do that.

"version": "0.2.0",
    "configurations": [

{
            "type": "extendscript-debug",
            "request": "launch",
            "name": "Launch Program",
            "program": "${file}",
            "stopOnEntry": false
        },
    ]
}

The above "launch.json" will run the current file to Illustrator as long as AI has been selected from the "Target Apps" list at the bottom of VSC. Problem is this selection is lost between sessions and I ONLY develop for AI (right now). 

Note: There is no "JSON" code option in the "Format Code" feature in this forum.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Hi, use "targetSpecifier". This is what I use for a simple case of "debug the file I'm editing right now":

{
    "name": "Debug current file",
    "targetSpecifier": "illustrator-24.064"
}

You can find the version of Illustrator by doing app.version, and taking the main version number (24 for me) and adding 0.64 for 64 bit. I haven't done this with many versions, and only on Mac,  so I don't know how robust this

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, use "targetSpecifier". This is what I use for a simple case of "debug the file I'm editing right now":

{
    "name": "Debug current file",
    "targetSpecifier": "illustrator-24.064"
}

You can find the version of Illustrator by doing app.version, and taking the main version number (24 for me) and adding 0.64 for 64 bit. I haven't done this with many versions, and only on Mac,  so I don't know how robust this method is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, that works! Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines