Exit

How to erase or cut the line drawn by pen tool

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Steps used.

1. Draw an ellipse circle (Shape of Head)

2. Used the Pen tool to create a curve on the top portion of the circle (Hair of Head)

Some portion of the curve went beyond the circle and I am trying to cut it and I am unable to do it.

I AM A BEGINNER. Kindly help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on Smart Guides and use the knife tool. Click where the hair and hte head intersect. The topmost path will be cut where you clicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As in many Adobe products, there are lots of ways to perform the same task. In this case, because you have 2 shapes and you want 1 of them to be cut at the intersection of them, I would recommend using the Shape Builder Tool. Select both the circle and the curve first. Then select the Shape Builder Tool (Shift + M is the keyboard shortcut). Hold down Alt (or Option if you're on a Mac). Hover over the portion of the curve you want to remove. Various parts will highlight as you hover over them. The portion of the path inside the circle will turn red. Click it to remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In additions to the earlier responses given by Scott and Myra, I'd suggest to look into the help article https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/cutting-dividing-objects.html for more information about cutting, dividing and trimming the objects.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines