• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export ai files to .obj

Participant ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys. I need to find a way to export ai files to .obj files.

Is there a plug-in or another way to do this?

I have a 3d program (Silo 3D) that will accept .obj files after I have exported to svg an file, converted in wings3D to .obj file and then opened in Silo.

Adobe's dimensions does not work on my Mac.

Thanks in Advance-

-C

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Ok - I think I have found a work around. It requires Photoshop as a go-between though.

1 - Create shape/ letters in illustrator.

2 - Copy and paste into Photoshop as a smart object.

3 - Select layer of the smart object you just imported.

4 - Select 'New 3D Extrusion from selected layer' under the 3D menu.
     Photoshop will create a 3D object from your imported layer.

5 - Select Export 3D Layer from the 3D menu.

6 - A save dialog box will pop up. Select the format. In this case I selected Wavefront/O

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

I know this is an old thread, but now you can export obj. files directly from illustrator and use them in Dimension. 🙂 You just have to use the Export Asset window, not the regular export menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.obj is a 3d format, Illustrator is 2D, so I do not think this is possible or useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I am trying to find the solution to, is that I need to create 3D versions of the signs we create. I have to draw these in 2d.

How do I get those graphics into a 3D program?

-C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should be a question for support of your 3D program.

What can that program import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supported 3D file loading formats are *.sib, *.sia, *.obj, *.3ds, and *.dxf.

Unfortunately, when I import DXF files, they are blnk.

I'll contact the 3D software program and see if they have a solution.

-thank you-

-C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I think I have found a work around. It requires Photoshop as a go-between though.

1 - Create shape/ letters in illustrator.

2 - Copy and paste into Photoshop as a smart object.

3 - Select layer of the smart object you just imported.

4 - Select 'New 3D Extrusion from selected layer' under the 3D menu.
     Photoshop will create a 3D object from your imported layer.

5 - Select Export 3D Layer from the 3D menu.

6 - A save dialog box will pop up. Select the format. In this case I selected Wavefront/OBJ. If it's needed, select the texture format.
     Then select 'OK'. Photoshop will save the layer as an obj file that can be opened in Silo.

It seems to work very well for fonts, but for vector shapes sometimes it made some odd vertices.

However, it's a good start and I can work with it from there.

Until Silo accepts vector bezier curves, it's as good as it gets for now.

I'll keep looking for more solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!!! TKS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotta love the internet! 

Thanks. This is a big help to me, just learning, starting to dabble in 3-D.

Thom aka Duck9000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help, if you can! I found this process a couple of days ago and it was owroking great.  I created 3 objects and am using them in Adobe Dimension.

Today it has stopped working.  I'm going through the same steps. After I've pasted in the Illustrator vector in PS I select the layer and go to the #d menu.  My only options available are Sepherical Panorma and Get more content.

Any settngs, or selections yu can think of I might need to adjust?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved! PS v23.3.1 breaks 3D. If you are trying this, unintall v23.3.1 and install v23.1! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So something I learned. The problem I was having was NOT the version of Photoshop. I did not have mode set to RGB. So apparently I changed my mode somewhere along the line, when I installed to older version of PS, the default was RGB.

Thanks to someone, don't remember, who informed me in a different conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bringing a 2D illustrator file onto an XY plane as a 3D object would be an acceptable solution, I would think. Since illustrator is essentially a vector format, this should be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SpudRat 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Unfortunately, I'm still kinda a newbiew and I'm not clear on what you are suggesting.

Can I just paste or import into a 3d program and place the illustrator 2d on a plane, and then go ahead and manipulate (scale, extrude, etc) from there?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It had been suggested that the desired functionality was not possible because Illustrator is 2D, so it cannot be imported into a 3D program or format. This is obviously untrue, as we can import 2D images onto planes in 3D. The same would theoretically be possible for Illustrator, although I don't personally know of any program that does it directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but now you can export obj. files directly from illustrator and use them in Dimension. 🙂 You just have to use the Export Asset window, not the regular export menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this has been discontinued. For some reason the choice of OBJ is grayed out now. Frustrating for anyone working within the Adobe CC universe, why they would seemingly disconnect their own apps. Makes no sense to me. I've tried every way I can think of to trick it into letting me export the selection as OBJ, just cannot figure it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you drag/add your 3D object to the Asset Export panel? Should be available there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you first apply an 3D and Materials effect to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

littlebee_1-1671735062745.png

You need to make it a 3D 🙂 Although I've tried with a simple vector, works as well. Seems like you are using a different Asset Export window though. I see! I just checked, do you happen to be on the Arboard instead of the Asset window? : 

littlebee_2-1671735173763.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think you're correct. So I'm now using the correct window, however -- why does this bottle become so distorted and fat??? It should look like the red line... I feel like a noob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to use only half the bottle to revolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a question of the location of the axis that you are revolving around. It needs to be in the center of the bottle. And as previously noted, you only need a half a bottle, not a whole one. If you use a whole bottle, only revolve it 180 degrees, not 360.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. Looking good now. Cheers and happy holidays

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear we could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines