• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export layers into multi-page PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

after looking around a bit, it seems there is still not a very direct solution to export multiple layers into multi-page PDFs. As I have a couple of dozen layers, the "artwork" solution does not seem to be the right one in my case.

Anybody has a suggestion, tipp, how this can be done? A script?

Thanks for any hints!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Make as many artboards as you have layers.

select the art on a layer easiest way is to use the layers panel.

Command C to copy

refocus on the artboard with the same number as the layer or if the layers have names, name the artboards accordingly and select to match that way.

then command shift V to place in place the art will be pasted in the same position on the artboard as it was on artboard one or relative to the original.

when you have all the artboards with their content in place save it as a pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make as many artboards as you have layers.

select the art on a layer easiest way is to use the layers panel.

Command C to copy

refocus on the artboard with the same number as the layer or if the layers have names, name the artboards accordingly and select to match that way.

then command shift V to place in place the art will be pasted in the same position on the artboard as it was on artboard one or relative to the original.

when you have all the artboards with their content in place save it as a pdf. using the use artboard feature select all or a range

and now you have a multipage pdf.

yes I know this not what you want but in the future just remember this is how it works and be prepared to have an artboard for each layer.

And it is not that much work to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works, but it makes you have to rethink your work flow. It seems like Adobe could think of something simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that the disadvantage with this approach lies in the fact that if I have objects in different layers which are on some pages at the same spot (x,y coordinates), I can't verify it that easily.

I mean, it really shouldn't be such a big problem to write a script which exports each (primary) layer into a separate PDF page... no? Don't know much about Javascript. Have done it with PHP though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark wrote a script to save each layer to a separate PFD file

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2638428

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very, very nice. Exactly what I wanted (and what I would have expected Adobe to provide me with). Great! Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome, and thanks to Mark for writing it.

I just noticed I wrote PFD (Prepared For Dye) instead of PDF, oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bleusky wrote:

This works, but it makes you have to rethink your work flow. It seems like Adobe could think of something simpler.

They did. it’s called multiple artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this is the right answer- surely a simple script exists to do this chore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring your multilayered file into InDesign, After placing image on a page > make a duplicate > Right click on image > and select manage layers. Voila! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

creather, fab solution, thanks. If you have Indesign then this is the answer. Just a note for others, and for clarity, "After placing image on a page > make a PAGE duplicate > Right click on image > and select manage layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might help..File > Scripts> SaveDocs as PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Om dit te bereiken niet alleen met lagen werken, maar ook met tekengebieden. Als voorbeeld : een plattegrond van een huis met daar overheen. 1) laag met verloop elektra. 2) laag met verloop van waterleidingwerk. 3) laag met afvoerleidingen. 4) laag met meubilair.
Hoe ga je te werk…

• Maak een nieuw document met 4 tekengebieden
  • teken in het eerste tekengebied de plattegrond en maak daar een symbool van
  • kopieer het symbool en plak deze met ctrl-shift-v op ieder tekengebied
  • teken in ieder tekengebied de relevante informatie

Als je het bestand bewaard als PDF krijg je een PDF van 4 pagina's

Tips

• geef ieder tekengebied de naam van de betreffende pagina
  • maak voor de basis (de plattegrond) een aparte laag en geef die laag ook die naam
  • maak voor iedere pagina een laag met de naam van die betreffende pagina en zet alles van die pagina ook in die laag
  • maak gebruik van de vensters "lagen" en "tekengebieden"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines