Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fill a shape that has been made with shape builder

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have made the shape below using the shape builder tool to remove elements. I have grouped all the shape together but I am having problems when trying to fill the shape with colour / gradient. It doesn't fill the whole shape as some of the shapes I've cut out using the shape builder. (as seen in the picture)

Is there a way to fill all the shape with gradient that covers the entire shape? 

Thanks in advance.

Harry

Untitled.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not too familiar with the shape builder tool.. But what you want is a compound path, not a group. compound path acts like one shape, even if it's made up of non-contiguous paths. That will allow your gradient to transcend all the shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make it a compound path it does this...Makes the shape all different

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok did you expand the lines and shapes... then did you make select it and make it one entire shape?

Or is just several separate shapes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have expanded the shape but how do I then make select it and make it one entire shape?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample .ai file, so one can take a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I do this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dropbox or google drive or similar. upload the file there, then click on "share", copy the link and paste it here. then we'll be able to download and take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines