• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fill in a complex knotted shape?

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to figure out how to fill in the different areas of this but it's tricky because I created most of these lines with the pen tool separately. So Illustrator doesn't know what's the shape itself and what's negative space.
I want to make the shape itself (the 'A') red but with a green outline. If I do the shapebuilder tool, I don't think it will regonize the overlapping shapes.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

KD,

As I (mis)understand it, how about starting over from the original artwork (always keep a copy when you start on something completely new, especially someting destructive), or releasing the Live Paint, then joining the paths that belong together?

Then you can redo the Live Paint(ing).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That works for filling in. I realized I also want to join all the different pen tool segments so that they are one continuous line but I'm not sure how. I get this message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also fill the lines with the fill color with Live Paint.

Double click the Live Paint Bucket for options.

But I realize that I probably misunderstood your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One continuos line for multiple objects is impossible. Only single open or closed object can have a continuous line.

After Live Paint > Expand you will have 2 groups one with lines and one with fills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

KD,

As I (mis)understand it, how about starting over from the original artwork (always keep a copy when you start on something completely new, especially someting destructive), or releasing the Live Paint, then joining the paths that belong together?

Then you can redo the Live Paint(ing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines