• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fill negative space with dashed lines?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I want to attempt a motif arrangement like this. I want to fill the negavtive space completely with dashed line, imitating running stitches. Also the lines have to follow the shape outlines. Please help me out. Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-08 at 16.08.29.jpeg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

A Scatter Brush might help add some randomness. 

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 07.56.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple Strokes with Offsets might provide an option. 

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 13.58.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. I'm still having trouble where the two dashed strokes of two different shapes meet and clash or overlap each other, but i guess some manual manipulation might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it feasible to make your entire motif into a compound path (as c.pfaffenbichler has done)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. But I'm sorry I'm not understanding how would that help. I'm still learning illustrator. The motifs don't need to overlap. I just want their outermost dashed outlines not to clash with the other shape's outline and look natural if possible, like the image. Yellow and blue lines offsetting from the flowers and red lines flowing through rest of the space.

Inkedde_LI.jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apoorva,

I think you are right by saying that some additional manual work is required.

Looking at your sample it is pretty obvious that it cannot be done with some instant techniques in one whack. There is some kind of randomness with many variations (e.g. size, direction, distribution).

Pfaffenbichler's suggestion is a good starting point, but it has to be further modified to get the natural look according to the sample you provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A Scatter Brush might help add some randomness. 

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 07.56.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines