• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to format illustrator output for Facebook cover images.

New Here ,
May 19, 2013 May 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a cover image that I created in Illustrator that when uploaded loses resolution. I have read that Facebook applies its own compression for files over 100kb and that compressing an image to 90 - 100kb will maximise resolution and help you avoid Facebooks compression. Using this infomation I set the jpeg compression to yeild a file of 90 something kb, but with poor results. Higher resolution images also seem to suffer.

www.facebook.com/barefootwholefoods

You can see the solid colours have become washed out and the edge definition is very poor. The files do not show these problems when viewed in illustrator or quick view.

How do I go about correcting this?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Facebook seems to reduced the image quality to users cover pictures, even when uploaded as PNG >100Kb. Nightmare! You probably won’t notice it too much when you upload photographs, but plain colours and text appear so pixellated that it hurts to simply look at it. This unwanted effect is known as compression artifact.

So how can I keep my artwork sharp?

I found the answer browsing through a forum:

1. Open you image in Illustrator (if it’s a PSD, you can still use ‘File - Open…’ and fetch it)
  2. File - Sav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You usually have no control over these things - there may be a different version when viewing on differnet connections/ different devices. That's the whole point of server-side optimizations - safe bandwidth and get the best possible version for each viewing device. The best you can hope for is to upload a higher-res, high quality image and hope it does turn out reasonably well.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Bugger! I don't like not being in control...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually color shouldn't be an issue. Are you working in sRGB?

As for the detail: use a different font (would be more legible anyway), use a different background. Don't create that much noise and grunge in your image. You're still in control, but you have to adapt to the medium, that's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document colour mode is RGB. How do you choose sRGB?
The font & the background are to be used across the board in all of the businesses advertising so I'd prefer to keep it consistant. If I have to choose between consistancy and pristine resolution then the choice comes down to consistancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Edit > Color Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, set to sRGB. Anything else that could be the issue? You can see it most in the red foot in the logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The noise in the red foot is caused by JPEG compression (and most probably by Facebook's compression, not yours).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your right. I just viewed to image in the photo section and it shows no problems at all. Damn you facebook..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facebook seems to reduced the image quality to users cover pictures, even when uploaded as PNG >100Kb. Nightmare! You probably won’t notice it too much when you upload photographs, but plain colours and text appear so pixellated that it hurts to simply look at it. This unwanted effect is known as compression artifact.

So how can I keep my artwork sharp?

I found the answer browsing through a forum:

1. Open you image in Illustrator (if it’s a PSD, you can still use ‘File - Open…’ and fetch it)
  2. File - Save for Microsoft Office

It will save your image as a PNG that somehow, magically, doesn’t suffer the same compression butchery as if you’d save it with Photoshop.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barge - I've tried all the tips I can find, including saving for Microsoft Office, and am having no luck getting a sharp image for posting on Facebook. Honestly, it's driving me nuts. Not a cover photo, just a vector+photo image to use in a FB group I run. Any other tips? I sent the last one to my daughter, who is a bit more skilled than I am, and she said she "dragged it to photoshop as an eps file, then flattened it, then saved for web." The output she sent back to me worked fine, but now I'm onto the next and it's just not working. Any advice would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show your artwork and what it looks like on Facebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are screen shots. The first instance of each is from Facebook, the second is how it looks in Illustrator. Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 4.31.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 4.33.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 3.34.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 4.33.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got two problems there:

- red: compression algorithms are known for treating red really badly.

- detail: Detail will always be sacrificed when compressing really hard.

Make your images better suitable for compression. Fewer detail, fewer red. Much fewer detail. Nobody wants to read that much small text anyway. Nobody can read all these crazy text elements going up and down through your design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The EPS dragged into Photoshop method worked for me ... thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines