• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get rid of a small transparent border in exported PNG files?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export Illustrator artwork as a png [whatever] file, I get a one pixel grey border at the top and left edges.

I've found similar topics on this around the web, suggesting to align everything to the top-left corner of the Transform > Reference Point [they are], to using the pixel grid, whole pixels and PNG-24 format like so:

https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/42280/white-border-around-transparent-png-after-il...

But everything leds to the final image [which leads to thin white lines when collaging more than one together for product templates online], and I really don't know what else to do now! 😕

TOPICS
Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Actually it is very easy to export a single pattern tile.

Drag rhe pattern swatch from the Swatches panel to the artboard.

In the Layers panel select the bottom path (it has no fill no stroke) from the pattern tile group.

Choose Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art

Double click the intersection of the rulers to reset the zero point.

Export with the Artboard option checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use Snap to Pixel option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna. Yes, I did 

Untitled 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the pattern maker (Object > Pattern > Make) in Illustrator?

Did your Pattern tile contain fractions?

It seems like you filled a rectangle with the pattern. Is your artboard the same size as your rectangle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton.
I don't use the Pattern Maker tool to create a pattern [as it's not easy to then get a repeating tile to export], but play around with larger / smaller scale square swatches from that panel after the fact. 

My finished Pattern and Artboard tile here are both 2400 X 1702 pixels, according to my Transform panel [i.e. not a swatch from the Swatches panel, but the non-clipped / divided elements themselves]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually it is very easy to export a single pattern tile.

Drag rhe pattern swatch from the Swatches panel to the artboard.

In the Layers panel select the bottom path (it has no fill no stroke) from the pattern tile group.

Choose Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art

Double click the intersection of the rulers to reset the zero point.

Export with the Artboard option checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for Web is a legacy option, it can create some unexpected artifacts.

What about trying some other ways:

1. Make the filled rectangle some bigger than the artboard and export in Export As mode with Use Artboards option;

2. Make the filled rectangle some bigger than the artboard and export in Export for Screens mode with Artboards option chosen.

3. Export by Save for Web also having the rectangle some bigger than the artboard.

The sense is to have all the exporting area (= Artboard) assuredly covered by the image.

At least, I tryed all the ways now, and no transparent lines appeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all of that Anna!

Sadly, neither option changed anything, despite making the asset bigger than the artboard [and making sure the pixel count weren't now in the half digits]. 

Untitled 5.png

If it were just a computer / display error, then zooming in all the way would surely give me the same result on the other lft and top hand sides of the exported image [but it doesn't]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel,

Apologizing for a possibly too silly question, but is your Artboard coinciding with the artwork, in other words also at whole pixels, at X = 0, Y = 0, W = 2400, H = 1702, for the upper left corner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob.

No, my Artboard's X and Y co-ordinates are different to the artwork's 0 and 0 [but changing the artwork's to the same results in it being somewhere different from said artboard]

Untitled 6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines