• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to group items and keep them together?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I highlighted a bunch of items and press Ctrl G to group them. Now I can see on the layer panel all the items in a group. Now, how do I make sure to keep them together and not pick individual component out of the group? I want the entire group to move at once and NOT slip any of the items alone. The problem I have is that I keep dragging individual items that belong to a group, and it keep messing with the alignment and I have to re-align everything from that group.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

If you've grouped them, then they will move as a unit. If you are having trouble selecting the group, you can use the Layer panel and select the group there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Selection tool (Black Arrow) or Group Selection tool (White Arrow with a +) to move the group as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to lock them all together?  One problem is that items within this group are touching other items outside group and selecting just the group without touching other items later on is not that easy.   Would be nice to lock them and just drag them together regardless if one of the items is touching another items outside the group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've grouped them, then they will move as a unit. If you are having trouble selecting the group, you can use the Layer panel and select the group there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works... thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One would probably first have to see one of your sample .ai files, but as per your description I can imagine that Illustrator's Isolation mode features could be of some interest to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines