Highlighted

How to import Illustrator files to Substance or Dimension?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help, I use Illustrator to produce my bag designs and have thought about using Substance or Dimension to create my 3d bag designs.  I've been looking at lots of tutorials to see how to use them but can't really seem to find a good tutorial that helps show how I take my vector drawing from the initial step and export into a .obj file to import into Substance or Dimension. It seems I have to extrude into another software like photoshop and then save that way.

Can anyone help direct me how to do this properly?

THANK YOU

Chris

{Renamed by MOD}

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Theresa J | Adobe Community Professional

Use Illustrator to create the graphics for the bag, not the 3D model of the bag. You will need a 3D application to create the bag, or find one on Adobe Stock. With Dimension it is really easy to add your Illustrator graphic to the model either as a label or pattern.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to import Illustrator files to Substance or Dimension?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help, I use Illustrator to produce my bag designs and have thought about using Substance or Dimension to create my 3d bag designs.  I've been looking at lots of tutorials to see how to use them but can't really seem to find a good tutorial that helps show how I take my vector drawing from the initial step and export into a .obj file to import into Substance or Dimension. It seems I have to extrude into another software like photoshop and then save that way.

Can anyone help direct me how to do this properly?

THANK YOU

Chris

{Renamed by MOD}

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Theresa J | Adobe Community Professional

Use Illustrator to create the graphics for the bag, not the 3D model of the bag. You will need a 3D application to create the bag, or find one on Adobe Stock. With Dimension it is really easy to add your Illustrator graphic to the model either as a label or pattern.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 10, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out. I am not quite familiar with this workflow, but here are a few tutorials I found with a quick search. 

Let me know if this helps or if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Srishti

Improved video uploaded here: https://youtu.be/Oza-_6Dkz6Q Tutorial page with working files and mockup available: https://bit.ly/2DL0yYz This video is for de...
0:00 Use a reference photo & draw the left half of the container in Illustrator 3:40 Paste the vector object into Photoshop 4:00 Go to 3D, New 3D Extrusion f...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Srishti, this is a great help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bag is typically not a simple extrusion or revolve, so you may need to look into learning a proper 3D software and its modeling functions like the free Blender.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dimension uses .obj or other 3D file formats, none can be exported directly from Illustrator. It has not those capabilities, it's just a 2D app.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 1