Highlighted

How to interact with extendscript engine without using ESTK or VSCode extension?

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm researching how feasible it would be to write my own program to interact with the extendscript engine in illustrator. My goal would be to create my own ESTK replacement. AI script guide says that the ESTK uses BridgeTalk to communicate with Illustrator. How do I use BridgeTalk outside of ESTK? There must be a way to do this because the VSCode extension must be using some mechanism to interact with Illustrator.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Topics

Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to interact with extendscript engine without using ESTK or VSCode extension?

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm researching how feasible it would be to write my own program to interact with the extendscript engine in illustrator. My goal would be to create my own ESTK replacement. AI script guide says that the ESTK uses BridgeTalk to communicate with Illustrator. How do I use BridgeTalk outside of ESTK? There must be a way to do this because the VSCode extension must be using some mechanism to interact with Illustrator.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Topics

Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use my Extension to write short snippets and run quickly.

スクリーンショット 2020-03-13 18.20.03.png
AFAIK, BridgeTalk's socket definition is not disclosed yet.
Probably, You can capture the internal packet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An extension won't work for me because in some of my scripts I have to restart Illustrator. Is anyone familiar with how the VSCode debugger is able to connect to Illustrator to debug scripts? Is it also using BridgeTalk?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't personally know how it works, but I believe it's all on github, no?

edit:

here it is.

https://github.com/Hennamann/ExtendScript-for-Visual-Studio-Code

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an ExtendScript code completion plugin.

We can search opened internal ports and capture some packets on our PC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using this extension to run/debug illustrator scripts. It does have an autocomplete component, but it does also communicate with illustrator to run extendscripts..

Unless this totally separate thing just happens to have the same name as the extension I'm using. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you make any progress on this? I'm trying to interact from a node application and I'm wondering the same thing.

As far as I can tell the extension William is referencing is the Adobe Extendscript Debugger that doesn't seem to be open source yet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I was mistaken. I saw things on github that I thought were related to the debugger itself.. But it turns out that I was only seeing the syntax highlighting stuff. I don't know if we do have access to the underlying structure of the debugger itself. =(

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines