• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to keep Illustrator from switching layers?

Explorer ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a logo with about 10 graphic elements. I create a layer. I activate the "target" button. I create an object. 

Illustrator sends it to a different layer. Whether I'm creating text, or objects, the elements land on a layer I'm not working on. 

How do we ensure that the layer we're working on is where our work appears? 

Said in reverse: How do we keep Illustrator from telling itself, "I'm bored with this layer. I'll send your work somewhere more interesting." 

Thank you. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

The target button is not the right choice for this purpose. It's for applying effects/appearances to all the objects that are in the layer, not for selecting the layer to add objects to it. Click to the right of the layer name to select the layer. In my example image I had Layer 2 selected when I created Layer 3, then targeted Layer 3 and drew the rectangle. So Layer 3 was targeted for appearance changes (e.g. through the Appearance panel), but Layer 2 was still selected, so that's where the rec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The target button is not the right choice for this purpose. It's for applying effects/appearances to all the objects that are in the layer, not for selecting the layer to add objects to it. Click to the right of the layer name to select the layer. In my example image I had Layer 2 selected when I created Layer 3, then targeted Layer 3 and drew the rectangle. So Layer 3 was targeted for appearance changes (e.g. through the Appearance panel), but Layer 2 was still selected, so that's where the rectangle went.

Peter

tromboniator_0-1590989801798.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Trombinator. I appreciate your spelling it out so clearly. I've been following your advice for the last couple of days and haven't had any more problems. I'm grateful for the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Joel. I'm delighted that you found it useful.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm amazed at the effort and time you invested in helping me. It was so kind. Thank you again. Incredibly impressive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Joel — Some people fish, others knit or play chess. I enjoy hanging out here and helping when I can, and there's no end to the learning. It's not a burden, so again, you're welcome, and thank you. Pass it along when the opportunity arises.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines