• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to label each section of a polar grid with type on a path tool?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a polar grid with 366 radial sections. I'd like to label each radial section with a 1 or 2 digit number sitting on the end of the radial line (aligned to exterior circle of the polar grid, but i'm not sure what the best way is to do this. I've tried the area type tool within little boxes at the end of each radial section, but it orients the type horizontally, and i've tried the type on a path tool on a circle that is the same diameter as my polar grid, but then i can't space the numbers precisely so they perfectly align with each narrow radial section. Is there an appropriate solution? Thank you very much

TOPICS
Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

I did not use type on a path tool but rotated threaded text boxes.

It is best to create a new layer for the text.

Numbers around polar grid.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Using the Rotate tool should work if you are working carefully. It is a very precise tool.

However, you may take the following .ai file (ca. 100 kb) to get another possible way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hp2Njrgl7Yy-KjnpcDJBbriB2hzL-7Jb/view?usp=sharing

Instruction:

- Download, unzip and open the file.
- Save a copy of the file, so you can examine it later.
- In the Layers palette, there is a main layer called "H_2".
- Select the entire layer "H_2".
- In the Brushes palette, there is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Hi.

Here's another method Polar Grid Labels

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, can you show a sketch that may explain how you want to arrange the numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Using Illustrator v25.2  Here's an image of the little boxes and the way i need the numbers to follow the shape of the circle. I'd like the numbers to be aligned within each box somehow. Thank youScreenshot 2021-03-07 at 20.57.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are different ways to do it, but you may just prepare one type object with a "dummy" number and the desired dimensions and at a precise position, then take the Rotate tool, set its reference point to the centre of the entire construction and copy rotate, followed by hitting Cmd/Ctrl-D (Transform Again command) to repeat as often as necessary.

After that, you can change the content of the dummies to the numbers you want.

As already mentioned, there are other ways that may even be a bit easier or at least quicker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kurt. I'm finding that method doesn't quite line up properly as my radial sections are such a small amount of degrees.. 366 radial sections on a polar grid 660mm across. Be very glad to hear of any other methods too. Thanks ever so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not use type on a path tool but rotated threaded text boxes.

It is best to create a new layer for the text.

Numbers around polar grid.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Rotate tool should work if you are working carefully. It is a very precise tool.

However, you may take the following .ai file (ca. 100 kb) to get another possible way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hp2Njrgl7Yy-KjnpcDJBbriB2hzL-7Jb/view?usp=sharing

Instruction:

- Download, unzip and open the file.
- Save a copy of the file, so you can examine it later.
- In the Layers palette, there is a main layer called "H_2".
- Select the entire layer "H_2".
- In the Brushes palette, there is a scatter brush called "Placeholder_2".
- Apply this brush to the current selection.
- Go to the Object menu and choose the Expand Appearance command.
- Ungroup, if desired.

Now you can change each placeholder digit to something different.

You can also select all type objects (point type), convert them to area type objects in the Type menu and then make threaded text, as Ton did in his example.

Depending on the actual numbers you are going to use, one would have to modify the procedure a bit, but I think the basic idea may be clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi.

Here's another method Polar Grid Labels

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines