• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a maze that conforms to an odd a shape?

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a maze (labyrinth) in an unusual shape and I was wondering if there was an easy way to do this. I saw a YouTube video on how to create a square maze and I saw an InDesign script that could make mazes in shapes like letter and so forth, but I haven't located anything on making mazes in odd shapes using Illustrator. Can anyone offer some suggestions? Is there a script that I can use or a trick to this that I don't know about?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

HR,

As I (mis)understand it, you can start out by using Object>Path>Offset Path with identical negative values equaling the width/distance between walls from the outer shapes in. After that you can remove and connect parts of paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you can provide a rough sketch of what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a few links instead? I want to make mazes like the ones that this artist produces.

Printable Space Maze - Tim's Printables

Sand Castle Maze - Tim's Printables

Penguin Maze - Tim's Printables

See how the lines of the maze conform to the shape? I have tried drawing in the maze myself and that hasn't gone so well, because it's difficult to make sure that the puzzle only has one solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HR,

As I (mis)understand it, you can start out by using Object>Path>Offset Path with identical negative values equaling the width/distance between walls from the outer shapes in. After that you can remove and connect parts of paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jacob. That works really well for getting the lines uniform inside the shape. Now I just wonder if there is a good way to draw the path from start to finish in there to ensure only one solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If everything could be done automatically then where is the challenge for artists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HR,

I doubt whether there is any non boring easier way then building custom solutions opening by opening.

You may:

1) Create all the uniform wall lines in full as closed paths,

2) Add the end bits in any places you fancy to create closed rooms, you may create each by adding an Anchor Point on one of the walls, then create a tangent by:

2a) Direct Selecting the Anchor Point so the Handles come out,

2b) ClickDrag with the Line Segment Tool from the Handle to the Anchor Point,

2c) Rotate the new path round the Anchor Point by 90 degrees and cut it where it crosses the neighbouring wall,

3) Start from start or end or wherever and create the openings by cutting at both sides and deleting the new path in between, you may use a short straight path as a ruler to have uniform openings, going all the way until you have the whole way through,

4) Add more openings leading to dead ends and maybe adding more end walls.

For straight segments, instead of 2a) - 2b) just use a straight path with the width between wall and rotate that as in 2c without need to cut it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HR, 

This is Tim, the artist that created those mazes. Each of those was created by hand. The first entirely by hand, the second and third also by hand, but traced over in Adobe Illustrator.

You can use the Appearance panel to build various strokes and fills to fill in shapes. Then you expand those shapes and go in and add the perpendicular segments to create the pathway. Alternatively, you can create a brush that looks like a path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

I hope HR will (soon) sign in again, and see and appreciate you post.

As you can see here, the latest sign in was 22nd August 2019:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/13769506

In any case, it is a pleasure to see your joining this thread.

May I ask how you found it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

I just noticed this message from well over a year ago! I honestly don't recall how I came across this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing, Tim.

I had been away from the forum for a good week and decided to catch up some way back, then came to your catching up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines