I am looking for advice on how to make and add a texture. I want to take a picture I have of tibetan prayer flag lettering and make a texture to insert in the coloured flag/coffin boxes, but still have the colour show.
Thanks in advance!!
There are many ways to create texture in Illustrator. You can use brushes, opacity masks, blending modes. There are many tutorials online, but it really depends on what you want. Perhaps if you can be more specific, we could give you specific steps to take.
So I have a picture like this (just the writing and graphics), and would like to make it the background texture in each of the coloured shaped coffins.
You can use Clipping Masks for it as follows:
For each coloured text piece, choose a flag (or create a copy on top of everything) assuming the flags are separate fill/nostroke paths, and:
1) Place the coloured text piece beneath the chosen flag in the stacking order (Layers palette), rougly where you want it; for best fitting opportunities you can remove the Fill and add a narrow Stroke:
Then you can either:
2) ClickDrag the coloured text piece to fit exactly as you like it; you can also change it in any way desired (scale/shear/distort/whatever) while fitting, working on what will show in the window of visibility;
3) Select both and Ctrl/Cmd+7 to make a Clipping Mask.
2) Select both and Ctrl/Cmd+7 to make a Clipping Mask;
3) ClickDrag the coloured text piece with the Direct Selection Tool to fit exactly as you like it; you can also change it in any way desired (scale/shear/distort/whatever) while fitting, working on what you see in the window of visibility; and you can release the Clipping Mask if you wish to look outside the window.