• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a white boarder inside a black frame.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have a problem with this with the older version of illustrator.

Lindas Lovely Loot

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

In general, the process would be to stack strokes using the Appearance panel. For instance, say you made a rectangle with a light blue fill and a 4 pt. black stroke. To add a 4 pt. white stroke inside that black stroke, you would do the following:

• Open the Appearance panel (Window > Appearance)
  • Click the Add New Stroke button on the bottom left of the Appearance panel which creates a new stroke of the same color and weight as the original
  • Select the original stroke (or move the new one down--re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version do you work with?

What kind of result do you expect?
What kind of result do you get?

Can you show something, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can figure out how to get an image on the page, hopefully I’ll be right back...
Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haven't figured out how to get back here. Hopefully soon...thanks so much for your help...

Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version Illustrator 2020 I'm on a Mac.

Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like that?

aa8.png

 

(But with white instead of my yellow border inside a black frame?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This came from a guy at Adobe Support Community Mailer, his name was Peter

Is this the sort of thing you meant, that you're getting 1 but you want 2?

In the Layers panel target

Then target the layer by clicking the circle to the right:

Then open the Appearance panel, and click Add New Stroke twice:

Make the lower stroke white, with the width you want:

Then make the upper stroke black, with a smaller width than the white stroke.

Now any stroke drawn in this layer will have the black-and-white appearance and will intersect without overlapping:

This worked really well for what I wanted...If I can find the picture he sent I will add it...

Lindas Lovely Loot...

Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, the process would be to stack strokes using the Appearance panel. For instance, say you made a rectangle with a light blue fill and a 4 pt. black stroke. To add a 4 pt. white stroke inside that black stroke, you would do the following:

• Open the Appearance panel (Window > Appearance)
  • Click the Add New Stroke button on the bottom left of the Appearance panel which creates a new stroke of the same color and weight as the original
  • Select the original stroke (or move the new one down--really you just want it to below the stroke that you'll leave as the black one)
  • Change the color to white (you'll notice that it doesn't show up--that's because it's the same weight as the other)
  • Change the stroke weight to 8 pt (or however wide you want it with 4 pts of the black stroke obscuring it)
  • If you want the white stroke to appear inside of the black stroke, click on Stroke for the white stroke and change Align Stroke to Align Stroke to Inside

You can also have the white stroke on top in the Appearance panel if you set the alignment of the black stroke to outside and the white stroke to inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sound worth trying but I’m on a Mac…
Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are the steps regardless of being on Mac or Windows. The reference to Window > Appearance is the menu (second from the right, just next to the Help menu) where you can access the Appearance panel if it isn't already open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find a picture to send but I want to try and explain what I do.

I make a frame, like 1inch circle. Maybe size 3 black line? I want another line smaller in side next to  the black which will be white.

Then I add an image inside that frame. I then etch this picture on metal. The white line give the appearance of a separation between the 

border and image. I started doing this in illustrator CS6. I was very good with illustrator CS6. Been using it sence 1996 and it was taken away

from me and had to buy illustrator 2020...Sorry for the sad story, just make me cry to think I can't do the things I once loved to do...Too old to learn

new tricks. 

I will try the appearance panel right now...if you can think of anything else, please let me know...
Linda Chandler

Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just keep on doing whatever you did in CS6 to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The execution is the same - regardless of whether on the Mac or Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With CC you can do exactly the same as with CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have an picture on my desk top, tell me how to upload the picture to you...

Linda

Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your answer window use this button:

image_insert.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to download a picture but have know idea where it went...Anyway, I can't remember how I did the white border that many years ago. I'm forgetting a lot of things I use to do...Linda

Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, I worked and worked and finally made it happen...I'm not sure what my problem was, hopfully I'm alright now...

Kercheval Linda...

Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now found this and the help is wonderful, working on and will be back,

Thank you so much...Linda

Lindas Lovely Loot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines