• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make an arrowhead start on the dash of a stroke instead of the gap?

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

Is there a setting or tip/trick I've missed to get a circular arrowhead to start at the beginning of the first dash of a dashed stroke instead of starting at the gap of the stroke? The stroke ending arrowhead attaches to the last dash, but try as I may, I cannot get the start arrowhead to connect to a dash. 

In the attached pictures, the top line with dashed stroke (4 pt) shows the problem on the left: the circle arrowhead is "attached" to a gap (whitespace) whereas the filled triangle arrowhead to the right is attached to a dashed. The bottom line is a 3-piece version in which I manually placed a circle and rotated "V".

I did find by trial and error that a 2pt dash and 12 pt dash connected to the circle arrowhead, but those dashes and gaps are not appropriate for the illustrations 😞

For reference, I need to draw neurons that will NOT follow straight paths (pen tool and beziers), and having the circular arrowhead at the start and a custom arrowhead (already have done this in arrowheads.ai file) will save an immense amount of time.

Thanks!

Scott

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Perhaps you would find it useful to build pattern brushes, rather than using the dashed line?

tromboniator_0-1613609179864.png

Here's a link to the Illustrator file if you'd like to use it or see how it's put together.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps you would find it useful to build pattern brushes, rather than using the dashed line?

tromboniator_0-1613609179864.png

Here's a link to the Illustrator file if you'd like to use it or see how it's put together.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines