• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make objects equal size

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone tell me an easy way to make several objects to be of equal size/ or equal width / or equal height.

I haven't been able to find such a command in Illustrator.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

www.wundes.com

In the scripts section you will find the script "Set all the things"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

You could record an action. I assume your objects vary in size, so you can assign a key command which will make applying this quickly to each item.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 9.30.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

An old question but here is a possible answer:

- Select all the objects

- Go to the appearance panel [shigft-F6]

- Click on the small FX button on the bottom of the panel

- Choose Convert to Shape

- There choose Rectangle and Size absolute. Choose your width and heigth

Only works with basic shapes because it converts your object to these basic shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

I stumbled on a sort of clumsy way to do this...but still takes a bit of time depending on the number of objects. Selecat all you objects and align them centered. Yes this will "pile" them all up, but at least now when you type in the common heighth ot width (whichever is more important to you) it will size them all the same. The time consuming part is then unstacking them and distributing them the way you needed in the beginning. Hope that helps somebody. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The transform palette will let you enter width or height. If you enter a size then press Command Enter you'll scale the selection proportionately. Repeat for all obects/groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2008 Jun 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but this is not a "quick and easy" way if I have e.g. 50 pictures imported into the document that have to be made of equal size before arranging them into a figure for publication (something that I have to do routinely for my work). I will have to type 50 times the required values for each individual picture.

Some graphics programs have a "Make equal size" command that can achieve this for the whole batch in one or two clicks, but such a command seems to be missing in Illustrator. The "Transform each" command does not allow to specify a size and the scaling option is useless in my case.

I would be grateful to hear more suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2008 Jun 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make is a script. Perhaps it is actionable. Not trying now, but I'll guess Not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2008 Jun 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be done with Javascript, but shouldn't have to be, given that Illustrator has a Transform Each dialog. It should reside there in the form of a relative/absolute radio button option.

There should also be a checkbox for Proportional, so one doesn't have to key the same value in both scale fields. Same goes for Transform Effect dialog.

Random should be provided as separate checkboxes for the Scale, Move, and Rotate areas, instead of just one for all three.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2008 Jun 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that each of your graphics exists somewhere as an individual file, I'd do this project in InDesign. Make a grid of box frames of the size you want, apply Place and get all the graphics at once, and click once on each box in order. Drag select all the boxes and apply Object - Fitting - Fit Content Proportionately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the many missing features in Illustrator.
You could use Animate or Flash (you find the button in the align panel). Then export in SVG format and import into your Illustrator document.

Hope this was helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

www.wundes.com

In the scripts section you will find the script "Set all the things"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could record an action. I assume your objects vary in size, so you can assign a key command which will make applying this quickly to each item.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 9.30.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much 

niceeee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An old question but here is a possible answer:

- Select all the objects

- Go to the appearance panel [shigft-F6]

- Click on the small FX button on the bottom of the panel

- Choose Convert to Shape

- There choose Rectangle and Size absolute. Choose your width and heigth

Only works with basic shapes because it converts your object to these basic shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really, Illustrator cannot align figures??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works perfectly. Just remember to expand appearance when finished, that way they are all uniform shapes when completed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Set all the things" doesn't keep proportions and transform each can't do specific height or width.

I found a weird hack to do this.

1. Copy all your objects to new documents

2. Create an action

3. Record your transform action, for example, height 500px.

4. In a separate action, Record Select 'Next object below'

5. Now loop through action 3 and 4 by recording action within the action.

Here's how it looks. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ioQ1dR7cNDc3pYDoAkHiyKWs-OpIrtU0/view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  keyur1610! 
I can't seem to record a 'Play action'. How did you do that? 
To get around that, I just looped 2 actions many times — 'transform' and 'select object below'. 

'select object below' is a game changer, thank you for that!!

Screenshot 2022-01-01 at 2.49.44 PM.jpg

Would love to understand your method more! I have a roundabout kinda automation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kandl, I have recorded video of whole process. Check attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use below .aia file to import this action into your illustrator.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cfFL3kCVGwmD5_VQVBEBpe-Y39JMDFHm/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for being so prompt and helpful! 😍 

I appreciate the video and action file. I still can't get it to work though, the actions loops on the palette but the actual sequence stops after the transforamtion. I will try to investigate it further, and upload a video capture. Cramming for deadline these few days arrrrrghs! But yeah, I'll update soon! 😊 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stumbled on a sort of clumsy way to do this...but still takes a bit of time depending on the number of objects. Selecat all you objects and align them centered. Yes this will "pile" them all up, but at least now when you type in the common heighth ot width (whichever is more important to you) it will size them all the same. The time consuming part is then unstacking them and distributing them the way you needed in the beginning. Hope that helps somebody. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Josh this was the fastest and easiest way to tackle my 50 names that needed to be the same size.

Appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all objects, while selected, click 'Transform' up top (its dotted underlined) and type in the desired size. It will change every object to that size!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why, but this is not working for me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2023 Sep 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@KG_BK  schrieb:

I'm not sure why, but this is not working for me 😞

Please create a new thread and post an exact description of your issue.

Screenshots help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines