Highlighted

How to make railway stations by script ?

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have question: simply how having what is on pic. A to make what is on pic. B by script ?

I guess it is not so easy so I can pay for making this.

----

More explanation: I have railways as lines and railway stations as dots. I can easy make stations with a proper symbol (white rectangle), but it should to be aligned along the railway. And I have many stations like these.

Thank you,

A.pngB.png

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to make railway stations by script ?

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have question: simply how having what is on pic. A to make what is on pic. B by script ?

I guess it is not so easy so I can pay for making this.

----

More explanation: I have railways as lines and railway stations as dots. I can easy make stations with a proper symbol (white rectangle), but it should to be aligned along the railway. And I have many stations like these.

Thank you,

A.pngB.png

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 17, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, can you share a sample .ai file, so one may have a look at it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crux is getting the tangent of the curve where there's a rectangle and therefore the angle of rotation of the rectangle, so that the two are "aligned".  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beff,

As Femke said, the right rotation is crucial.

In addition to that, I believe the right visual appearance is also crucial, and I believe that includes your positioning the rectangle so that both midpoints of the end segments of the station rectangle are exactly over the line path.

I would suggest a two step procedure based on a rectangle (symbol) that has an actual Anchor Point at each of the end segment midpoints, Smart Guides being your friends:

1) Once the dot has been replaced by the rectangle (symbol), with the Rotate Tool simply rotate the rectangle by one of the midpoints to snap to the line path; if the line path is straight (or has an unusual line shape with an inflexion at the station centre and identical curvatures on either side) you are done already;

2) Select the point from 1) as the rotation centre and rotate the rectangle by the other midpoint to snap it to the line path.

This would give you the (fake) appearance of the rectangle being centred on the line path, by the centring of its end midpoints, which obviously means that in most cases the station centre will (normally) be moved a wee bit sideways from the line path (and often (much less) along the line path).

I (also) believe that Kurt has something like/unlike that in mind already and wishes to give you the best/easiest way depending on version and what you have in your document alreadey.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is completely off topic, but I tried this recently and thought you might be interested (stacking strokes to make railway tracks). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd5kdkSChFg

By default, a path in Illustrator has a single stroke and a single fill. It's easy to add multiple strokes to a path and some very interesting looks can be a...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 1
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to replace the dots with type on a path. Wingdings "n" will give you a solid box. Color it white and add a black stroke, scale the box width as needed. Separate the stations with a tab.

Type on a path.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Luke, for your answer. I am looking at this and the videos with interest.

You may be surprised, but I was breaking my head to solve the same problems, which they have in the videos.

Right, I may change dots with "n". But what, when the dot is not on the line, but aside ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is still necessary to share a sample .ai file in order to provide possible solutions. At least if pure assumptions are not desired.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

OK, I am uploading an .ai

I am using AI 2020

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0