Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to measure distance between elements

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there a way to measure the distance between elements in the latest illustrator?

I really love the way I can measure in Adobe xd and photoshop, but it is really missing from Illustrator, I haven't figured out how to do it yet. The answers I found on the internet are not very helpful. I do not wish to use the ruler, which is not fast enough.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the methods you know and don't want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsdjUXrShpA&t=140s

and this one which I cannot even use as this option doesn't appear in my windows dropdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNbSUoRRFws

I would try this one, but I just don't seem to find it.

Is there a way like in xd or Photoshop, that by pressing a key (like ctrl or alt) and holding the cursor to elements while one element is selected, then it would show me the distance?

I am using manually rectangles, which is truly not the best solution. I never really needed this tool/option, but recently I have been noticing, that I got so used to it in other adobe software that I want to use it in illustrator too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way like in xd or Photoshop, that by pressing a key (like ctrl or alt) and holding the cursor to elements while one element is selected, then it would show me the distance?

By @viktoriap59157741

The VectorScribe option: this is a commercial plugin.Probably the best solution for you.

Just hovering a cursor between elements: no, this doesn't exist in Illustrator natively. I have also not yet seen a plugin that could do this.

Maybe this plugin could help: https://specctr.com/cloud/home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, VectorScribe could be an option, I found it online, but I do not find it in my illustrator. Can that one be installed as a plugin too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VectorScribe is a third party plugin. You will have to license it separately from Astute Graphics. Tehre is a demo available so you can test if it fits into your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines