• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open dxf file keeping original size?

Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to open a dxf file in Illustrator keeping the original size and scaling. The dxf file can be found here. It is important for me to keep the scale, so no changes in the size. I use Illustrator 2017. When I load the dxf I get an options-popup:

Options.png

I can select keep original size, scale to drawing size, scale and other options. My problem now is: It only works when I select "scale to drawing size". Then it opens and displays something. When I click keep original size it does not work. I played around with the options (select mm), but it simply does not work, the file is openend however a blank page is shown.

So when I choose scale to drawing size I get an output:

Output.JPG

When I choose Original size (no matter what I specify for units) I get an blank output (also when I zoom out nothing appears):

Blank.JPG

Where is the problem? How can I open it keeping the original size?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

You're right, there are problems opening the DFX at it's original scale.

Try the EXDXF plugin for AI

EXDXF-Pro Download

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, there are problems opening the DFX at it's original scale.

Try the EXDXF plugin for AI

EXDXF-Pro Download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since yesterday, after making the last update. All DXF file s opened are very small and not in scale. I tried to change the options in the "DWG/DXF import dialog box" but the files always open the same way... I can't install the plug-in because of the company internal policy! Is there any different solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem!  I am trying to open a DXF from Fusion 360 and cannot get the file to come in at the correct size no matter what I try. They just did an update to let DXF files from Fusion open in 2021 Illustrator but now this won't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem from just now. All dxf files normally opened before now becomes very tiny. I cannot be sure how I can resolve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I "solved" this issue wenting back to the previous version (25.0.1). Waiting for any action from Adobe. This is extremely important for my work!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome ! 

How did you reerting back to the previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening the CREATIVE CLOUD DESKTOP you shoukld see the ADOBE spoftwares list. Clicking on the 3 dots on the right of AI you can choose "other versions":

Alessandro5C9F_0-1611306259564.png

Then select INSTALL on 25.0.1 version:

Alessandro5C9F_1-1611306319522.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool !

Thnaks tons !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines