• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Preview artboard only in Illustrator?

Nov 14, 2009 Nov 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like in InDesign where you can hit "W" to preview without the stuff outside the artboard, is there to look at the work thats just in the Composition?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2009 Nov 14, 2009

Illustrator has no equivalent. You can add a layer with white or grey boxes to cover the bleed, then show/hide that layer whenever you want a clean InDesign-like preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator has no equivalent. You can add a layer with white or grey boxes to cover the bleed, then show/hide that layer whenever you want a clean InDesign-like preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been doing that and I was afraid you'd say that. But thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A shame, really...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Carlos wrote a script for this... if I can find it.....

Yup.. check this thread....

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3895305#3895305

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 09, 2013 Aug 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That script hasn't worked once for me. It clips the wrong areas.

Adobe needs to make this a one-keystroke solution as in InDesign (the W key). I would say this is the most requested feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES AND.... if the clipping mask and content were as easy to select and resize independently InDesign frames, I could easily resize frames to the artboard and wouldn't need a clean preview so badly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an older forum but it is still crazy to me that there isn't a preview where I can see only what's on the artboard or within trim lines without created a giant layer and cutting out the middle. InDesign has this functionality... why not Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could say that about any number of features. but this one is apparently on the way:

Bleed View - a view mode that shows just the artwork – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Doug. I agree. Not everything can be the same across every program. It's just something simple that has been widely requested for over a decade that already exists elsewhere in Adobe's programs. I'm only adding my voice to express the desire to see it implemented.

On a positive note, I did appreciate recently seeing the option to use another program's controls (e.g. Photoshop in Illustrator) if so desired.

Thanks again for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this is from almost 11 years ago, if by chance you are still facing this challenge I'll suggest you try this shortcut- "Shift +F". Works perfectly for CC 2020. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I noticed this is from almost 11 years ago"

And 11 years ago the feature you are describing didn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just usually preview with save for web

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, what i do is SHIFT>OPT> COMMAND> S all at once, as if you're going to save for web, gives you a png preview (or whatever you have it set to show), you can then cancel it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally ! After 10 years.

You now can go View -> Trim View >

This incredible revolutionary divine intervention of a feature came to mother-earth 30th of april.

10 years after it was first requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was introduced in the October update, so just a quick nine years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines