Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove grey blocks

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

Hoping somebody can help - a graphic I made has been covered in grey blocks (see image attached). When I highlight everything, the outline of each layer is still visible but I can't get rid of the grey blocks. Any idea what's wrong? I reset preferences and restarted but this didn't do anything. The file was quite large for the computer I'm currently working on, causing illustrator to crash several times, but it only ever required a restart and I was back in business. I can't seem to access any previous versions of this file either,  even though I had automatic recovery set up. 😞  

Any help much appreciated, thank you!

Megan

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, thank you! Not sure if it matters, but I only have this version saved as a pdf?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think whatever has happened here is recoverable unless you have a backup file. Every element in the file has the same appearance.

What happened when this occured? A crash? Any specific error messages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it crashed and when I restarted this is how it was appearing 😞 Thanks for checking it out anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good starting point is to select all and, if the fill/stroke indicator in the Toolbar, Control bar, Color panel, etc. show everything having the same grey fill, exchange the fill and stroke. Otherwise, select an object, then go to the Select menu > Same > Fill Color then swap fill and stroke (shift + X).

You can then select individual shapes and add fills or change strokes as necessary.

In other words, the file does not appear to me to be corrupt, and I have no explanation for the behavior you have observed.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Peter, this is definitely a good starting point! Glad that all is not completely lost!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can see. all the shapes are filled gray. When I inverted Fill/Stroke, all the elements became visible, with all their brushes and effects. I suppose that there was some occasional action in the previous working session                 2021-05-29_13-00-14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Anna, at least I'm not back to square one! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines