Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove overlapping paths for laser cutting

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Thanks to the forum I have been able to do the design to the left, where each stripe of the balloon shape is it's own shape.  They can be cut on a laser cutter then put together again like a puzzle.   Now I am creating a laser cut design with overlapped shapes, and I need to remove the paths in the overlapping parts so that the final cuts would look like the picture on the right, where I simply used fills to hide the overlaps.  I have tried all of the path tools, plus shape builders and I can't seem to cut out those stripes from the lower balloon in the overlap.  I managed to do it once, but I worked on it for hours and it was a fluke I can't repeat;) 

I need all of these separate shapes (including the truncated stripes) so I can enlarge each piece to account for kerf on the cutter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sue

Remove overlapping paths.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Hi its really very easy using shape builder tool in Adobe Illustartor all will be good then....Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi its really very easy using shape builder tool in Adobe Illustartor all will be good then....Thanks.

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Pathfinder use trim. Once you do that double click inside and you should have pieces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goodness....I completely forgot about the dragging of the shape builder as opposed to the clicking....I won't explain but I have had to do that all week for something completely different.  Thanks again everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I'm also attempting to prep complex artwork for a laser cutter.  One would think I could remove any lines underneath a closed shape?  But the results never end up looking all that good if I'm using the "shape builder" tool or "minus shape in front".  They end up affecting other parts of the artwork not near the intended area, as seen on the screen recording.

A clipping mask creates the PERFECT result but it's not distructive... so the cutter will still attempt to follow those lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all !
Path finder tools can work, but can be also very tricky for laser applications, resulting in very long time consuming process, or errors in design.
The Illustrator action this guy has designed seems to work very good :

https://jackforge.com/delete-overlapping-lines/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines