• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to replace checkerboard with an image in Illustrator?

Participant ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to put this picture in the spot of this and "Place" is not working especially behind the colors shown.  How can craft my picture to put if where the gray/white checker board is?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

We need to see your layers panel.

Also what did you do with the checkers? There must have been a clipping mask they were in.

You will need to learn at least some basics of how to handle Illustrator objects, because otherwise you can't even understand what we are talking about.

How to use layers in Illustrator

This is how the layerspanel works. Please show us how the file is set up.

It might be as simple as selecting the white object, pressing Shift + D twice and then pasting your picture.

But it migh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That grey checkered pattern might be an image or rectangles itself. Can you check that in the layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for reaching out. If I get your query correctly, you are trying to replace the checkerboard with a picture. If yes, then simply remove the checkerboard from layers panel as suggested by Monika and place the picture behind the artwork.

If that doesn't help, would you mind sharing your file with us? I can try to find out a way after looking at the file.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I'm trying to get my picture to look just like the below.

Below is my format.  Trying to take the picture fit the section just like above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the layers panel. What's inside the layers is important.

Here's how to use clipping masks: How to use and edit clipping masks in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the examples on the link, it did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to see your layers panel.

Also what did you do with the checkers? There must have been a clipping mask they were in.

You will need to learn at least some basics of how to handle Illustrator objects, because otherwise you can't even understand what we are talking about.

How to use layers in Illustrator

This is how the layerspanel works. Please show us how the file is set up.

It might be as simple as selecting the white object, pressing Shift + D twice and then pasting your picture.

But it might also be a lot more difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the feedback.  I got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's great. Thank you for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines