Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to resize artwork in illustrator to allow printing in various sizes

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm new to illustrator. I have created my artwork, however I am unsure of how to resize to be able to print in a range of sizes A4-A1 for instance. I need this explained in lamens terms as I'm not too tech savvy. 

Many thanks 

Moved from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you printing straight from Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically I have created some designs using illustrator and want to be able to print the design for wall art. I spoke to a print service today and whenninsent the image across to them it was too small. So I have saved it as a PDF and sent this over which printed fine. However I'm unsure whether it would print in the same quality whether its A4 or A1 size for instance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF containing only vector content should print fine at any size.

A raster format like JPEG and PNG will only print fine at the size it was designed for (or smaller).

You can put raster content (pixel images or effects) in an AI file or in a PDF. If you do this, you need to be aware of the size (in pixels and PPI) and not scale it beyond its limits for the output you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help to know more details about your intentions, and the construct(s) of your Illustrator work. Vector artwork is scalable, but it's possible your Illustrator work has resolution-dependent raster images and/or raster effects mixed in.

There is not a single recipe for any/every output intent.

In general terms, I would say; save a copy as PDF. With the PDF opened in Acrobat, there is the abaility to print on various paper sizes, and apply various scaling options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a new document it initially asks me what size I would like the page to be, I chose A3 and created my design. However once I sent the saved design to the printers it was very small so I saved a copy as pdf which managed to print fine as A4. Does that mean the pdf file will print in Any size without distortion? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SInce most print jobs are sent without any personal interaction between you and the vendor, the file needs to be set up exactly as you want it printed. So if you want an A4 result, send an A4 PDF. Everything else would be waiting for an expensive desaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have said, the image I sent was on a document I set as A3 yet when I sent it over to the print shop (luckily I was there) she told me it was almost A6 size when she opened the file so I didn't understand. 

Also I have done 2 designs both new A3 size documents yet one has saved a lot smaller than the other, this is why I can't understand what is happening???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file types are you sending them that end up smaller? What export settings do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean the pdf file will print in Any size without distortion? 

By @menna5E1D

As I mentioned in my original reply, it can depend on the contents of the file. Some elements may be resolution-independent; others not. Effectively designing for print and producing high quality output requires understanding of output methods and their underlying principles, including the constraints and characteristics of graphical constructs. There are no blanket statements that will be true of every case. It's good you are trying to learn. The best way to do that is to discuss indepth with the print provider (not necessarily the sales representative), and continue researching online. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I really appreciate all the advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that small and thin elements don't get too small in small print sizes.

No matter if you are "tech savvy" or not: you will have to ask the printing service about what is possible and what is not. It depends on the process and the materials. If you don't understand what they tell you: ask again. When preparing artwork you have to understand how the publication media works - there just is no excuse for not learning it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to learn which is why I am asking. I have been trying find online tutorials, courses you name it but not getting very far 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you asking about a specific print job?

Or is this preparation for anything you will be sending in the future?

To learn this you could take a look at LinkedIn Learning courses, which are not free, but maybe available at you local library. There are courses for print preparation.

The first thing will always be to ask the printing service:

- what kind of file they expect

- what are the specifications for the job your are printing

All the online print vendors have web pages about how to set up a file. You could just read them. And then research everything you don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

It is designs I have saved, however I dont understand too much about files or printing etc I just design because I enjoy design. Now I am being asked for prints of my designs and this is new territory for me so I am trying to learn how it all works so I can make preparations in future before I start a new design. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines