Highlighted

How to Rotate Object to Angle Path?

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I hope I can explain what I'm trying to accomplish in a way that makes sense. Basically, I have two objects. One is a square, and the other is a triangle which I don't know the angles of. I'd like to rotate the square so that one of its sides matches exactly the angle of one side of the triangle. I know I can finely tune the angle, but I'm wondering if there's a way to tell the square to rotate itself to be perfectly parallel to whichever side of the triangle I pick OR is there a way to easily figure out the exact angle of that triangle. 

This probably only makes sense in my head so if further explication is needed, I'll do my best to clarify! 

Thanks all!

Josh

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Jacob Bugge | Most Valuable Participant

Josh,

You can, Smart Guides being your friends:

1) ClickDrag the square by the relevant corner Anchor Point to snap to the relevant corner Anchor Point on the triangle (Smart Guides say anchor); you could also just ClickDrag to somewhere on the triangle side (in which case Smart Guides say path);

2) Pick the Rotate Tool and click the coinciding/square Anchor Point from 1) (Smart Guides say anchor), then ClickDrag the Anchor Point at the other end of the relevant square side to snap to the triangle side (Smart Guides say path);

3) Move the square to where you want it, unless you want it where it is in 2).

The above implies that the triangle side is longer, otherwise you can ClickDrag somewhere on the square side to rotate in 2).

TOPICS
Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to Rotate Object to Angle Path?

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I hope I can explain what I'm trying to accomplish in a way that makes sense. Basically, I have two objects. One is a square, and the other is a triangle which I don't know the angles of. I'd like to rotate the square so that one of its sides matches exactly the angle of one side of the triangle. I know I can finely tune the angle, but I'm wondering if there's a way to tell the square to rotate itself to be perfectly parallel to whichever side of the triangle I pick OR is there a way to easily figure out the exact angle of that triangle. 

This probably only makes sense in my head so if further explication is needed, I'll do my best to clarify! 

Thanks all!

Josh

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Jacob Bugge | Most Valuable Participant

Josh,

1) ClickDrag the square by the relevant corner Anchor Point to snap to the relevant corner Anchor Point on the triangle (Smart Guides say anchor); you could also just ClickDrag to somewhere on the triangle side (in which case Smart Guides say path);

2) Pick the Rotate Tool and click the coinciding/square Anchor Point from 1) (Smart Guides say anchor), then ClickDrag the Anchor Point at the other end of the relevant square side to snap to the triangle side (Smart Guides say path);

The above implies that the triangle side is longer, otherwise you can ClickDrag somewhere on the square side to rotate in 2).

TOPICS
Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One solution is to know the angles:

Select the Line Tool and place it on a corner point and drag it along the sideuntil you get to the opposite corner.

While doing it, you will see a grey square with the distance of the line and its angle.

It can be enough, but better or more precise, while that line is still selected, open the Properties panel where it show the exact angle. Select the number and copy it.

Now select the rectangle, the Rotate Tool (doble click it) or press Enter after, it shows the Rotate dialog window, paste or enter the value shown before on the Properties panel minus 90 degrees.

angle.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob!
Thank you SO much for this info! It was EXACTLY what I was looking to do and it worked perfectly!

Josh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Josh.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Jacob says.

But if you fid yourself doing this several times in the hour, you might want to take a look at the plugin ColliderScribe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika! Jacob's suggestion worked well for this one instance but ColliderScribe looks like a tool that's definitely worth the investment! 

Josh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0