Highlighted

How to search for layers by their name or sort alphabetically (Help)

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys. I have a huge illustrator template map with well over 1,000 layers, and each layer contains one dot symbolizing a city on the map. The layers are all labeled with the names of their cities. I didn't create the template myself, so to modify it for future projects I have to check all the layers individually against a spreadsheet in order to add new city dots without repetition. Also, none of the layers are in order either. It's driving me nuts, and this process is wasting hours of my time. 

I looked everywhere for a way to search Illustrator layers by their name, and couldn't find anything. I hoped this post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-find-layer-name-in-layer-panel/td-p/10110198?page=...) in the forums would solve my issue, but so far I think Illustrator can only find actual text in the file, and won't select the named layers themselves.

I'm using Illustrator 2020. If any of you can think of anything that could help with searching for layers by name, or even sorting layers alphabetically, I would be forever grateful!

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to search for layers by their name or sort alphabetically (Help)

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys. I have a huge illustrator template map with well over 1,000 layers, and each layer contains one dot symbolizing a city on the map. The layers are all labeled with the names of their cities. I didn't create the template myself, so to modify it for future projects I have to check all the layers individually against a spreadsheet in order to add new city dots without repetition. Also, none of the layers are in order either. It's driving me nuts, and this process is wasting hours of my time. 

I looked everywhere for a way to search Illustrator layers by their name, and couldn't find anything. I hoped this post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-find-layer-name-in-layer-panel/td-p/10110198?page=...) in the forums would solve my issue, but so far I think Illustrator can only find actual text in the file, and won't select the named layers themselves.

I'm using Illustrator 2020. If any of you can think of anything that could help with searching for layers by name, or even sorting layers alphabetically, I would be forever grateful!

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to take a look at:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/script-to-search-layer-names/td-p/2771259?page=1 which discusses Illustrator as well

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines