• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set up print file with bleeds for irregular shape in Illustrator

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, a whole slew of stuff I'm trying to figure out here. I scanned an inked drawing of business card into Photoshop, adding text and color there, then imported as a .psd into Illustrator to get ready for the printer. 

Because it's an irregular shape I have some questions. The width, after cut, is 90 X 77mm. 

Should the document size be 90 X 77, or 96 X 83 (with 3mm bleed added around). That is, should the bleed be inside the document or outside of the artboard?  How to make bleed and trim lines in Illustrator? Just use the pen tool? Then turn into guides? Or offset paths? Also, is the shape I have require a die cut because of the shape jutting out of the top of the rectangle or can it just be simple cut? Additionally, should the text be outlined in Photoshop before importing to Illustrator? Are the bleed lines and trim lines on a different layer or locked as guides? When exporting for PDF for print is there an export setting to arrange these bleed and trim lines? (Extra note: I like the handrawn edges, but the cuts of the card can be totally straight if it makes the budget lower). Thanks for your help. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Please do ask the printer for file specifications. This is important, especially for the die cut.

You can draw a cut line any way you like (as a vector path, of course).

You would then need the enlarge the black, put the die line on top and prepare it in the way the printer tells you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please do ask the printer for file specifications. This is important, especially for the die cut.

You can draw a cut line any way you like (as a vector path, of course).

You would then need the enlarge the black, put the die line on top and prepare it in the way the printer tells you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines