• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to shade properly in Illustrator?

Explorer ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to figure out how to shade a drawing in Illustrator in roughly the same way I would in Photoshop. Usually I would just select a surface with the magic wand, pick a brush and colour, and shade freehand. Simple!

Well, that doesn't work in Illustrator! If I select a surface and pick a colour to shade with, it changes the base colour. Also, selecting a surface doesn't confine your shading within it; you can still paint outside the surface.

I've watched a dozen tutorials on YouTube, but none of them answer my question. Their method of shading is completely impractical, since they draw the outline of the shading with the pen tool on a separate layer. That's not what I want. I'm using a segmented character for animation, so the shading is very strict.

I just want to:

- Select a surface and shade freehand.

- Confine my shading to one surface like with Photoshop's magic wand.

How do I do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2014 May 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most common of beginner fallacies: bringing completely erroneous assumptions that a program like Illustrator works like Photoshop. It doesn't. It's an entirely different world.

Because this subject is so often repeated here, the following is intended as "open" advice to all (at least those with ears to hear); not as an affront to originator of this thread or anyone else. (I wish something at least conceptually like it were provided as an omnipresent FAQ or even required reading to which to direct newcomers.)

(Apology for CAPS in the following. It's not in this case meant as yelling. I've used it in lieu of italics [for basic emphasis] because of bugs introduced yet again in the rich text editor of this forum.)

When starting out with vector-based drawing program (any of them, not just Illustrator), you are far better off FORGETTING Photoshop. It's an entirely different process for entirely different purposes. And the differences are for good and legitimate reasons.

I've watched a dozen tutorials on YouTube, but none of them answer my question.

You're just making it harder on yourself. Diving into online "tutorials" posted all over the web by other Illustrator users IS NOT the way to get started. Such "tutorials" are created by other users of all levels of actual experience. The fact that the subject of a "tutorial" looks like something you want to do is absolutely no guarantee that its author is any more "expert" than you, nor that--even if he is--has enough technical writing skill or dilligence to accurately describe the process, nor that the process being described is even best practice in the first place. If I had a buck for every online Illustrator "tutorial" authored by relative beginners giving other beginners downright bad advice (blind leading the blind), I'd be richer than Adobe hopes to become by abusing its customers with a rent-only licensing scheme.

The way to learn any software is to start with its official documentation. Read it start-to-finish, and work through every operation described as you go. There is no shortcut to this, and it IS the shortest path toward developing actual balanced proficiency. Don't trot out some bogus special case appeal like "I'm just not the type able to read documentation; I'm a 'visual' person," etc., etc., ad nauseam. If you can read posts in a user forum, you can also read the--yes, dry but at least RELIABLE--instructions in the provided documentation.

Forget the self-proclaimed "expertise" of everybody-and-his-brother's online "tutorials." Buckle down with the provided documentation and use the program according to its instructions until you have a strong foundational understanding. Only then dink around with "clever tutorials" because only then will you at least have some discernment as to whether the "tutorial" is accurate, complete, or even best practice.

The fundamental, bedrock, foundational difference between programs like Photoshop and programs like Illustrator boils down to this: There are TWO basic and very DIFFERENT kinds of computer graphics: Raster images and vector-based drawings. They are equally important. EVERY serious digital graphics producer should develop proficiency with BOTH. Think of them as two hemispheres of the entire graphics world. If you're only proficient with one, you are living blind to an entire half of your chosen endeavor world.

Mainstream graphics programs produce graphics in either of two ways:

• By filling a rectangular area with an array (rows and columns) of color values, completely "dumb" to any idea of actual "shape" (raster imaging; Photoshop and similar programs).
  • By describing actual shapes in terms of mathematical formulae (vector-based drawing; Illustrator and similar programs).

Now, given that, wouldn't you EXPECT those two classes of graphics programs to work differently? Like it or not, they do and they SHOULD. One is not inherently more difficult than the other. Like anything else, it's a matter of first grasping the underlying concepts involved and then developing familiarity with the tool. You wouldn't expect English literature to be learned and executed in the same way one learns and executes algebra. You don't roof a house with the same tools or by the same methods used to paint it.

So set aside your initial frustration because it IS generally-speaking invalid (despite Illustrator's worst-of-class vector drawing interface). Don't condemn something for which you don't yet possess even the most basic conceptual understating because any assumption that you understand ANYTHING basic about Illustrator on the basis that you understand the basics of Photoshop is wrong. The two exist as separate programs for FUNCTIONAL REASONS, not just to provide some "alternative preference" for doing the same things.

I'm trying to figure out how to shade a drawing in Illustrator in roughly the same way I would in Photoshop.

Vector-based drawing programs are inherently OBJECT-BASED by nature. A vector drawing is essentially a stack of any number of discrete, individual, independent OBJECTS. Each object may be a path (mathematically defined shape), a raster image, or a live text object . By contrast, when you work in a program like Photoshop, you are basically engaged in creating just one SINGLE object (a raster image).

Because vector paths are mathematically-defined OBJECTS, things like color and gradients and effects are ASSIGNED TO them as attributes and commands. This is entirely different from merely re-coloring pixels (which are not discrete objects, but mere color values in the single rectangular array), which is all you're really doing when you "color something" in a raster imaging program. There's no "someTHING" to color; there's just a subset of the color values to alter.

If I select a surface,...

As you read and work through a program's provided documentation, pay attention to the terminology and force yourself  to use that terminology when discussing it with others. "Surface" doesn't really mean anything in Illustrator (except perhaps generically in reference to its 3D Effect), just as "Node" means something clearly defined in CorelDraw, but not in Illustrator.

...and pick a colour to shade with...

By the same token, when asking questions avoid making up your own language to describe what you're doing. "Pick a color to shade with" makes sense to you, but is ambiguous in the context of Illustrator; it can be interpreted as your doing any of several things in multiple very different ways. Always state what you are doing in tool-by-tool, command-by-command, click-by-click ordered sequence --again, always using the program's terminology.

Don't apologize for being a beginner. (We all started as beginners, and It will be obvious in your question if you are one anyway.) On the other hand, also don't appeal for special treatment for being a beginner. It's not an excuse for at least trying to use the program's terminology, because you have the same access to the provided documentation as everyone else did when they were beginners.

Their [tutorials'] method of shading is completely impractical...since they draw the outline of the shading with the pen tool on a separate layer. That's not what I want. I'm using a segmented character for animation, so the shading is very strict

Don't assume that the methods employed for one kind of drawing problem are "impractical" or "inferior" just on the basis that they're not best for your specific use. You can easily embarrass yourself with such assumed "superiority" when you find out that you're failing to understand the most basic things about the program. And don't assume that your use is inherently "more advanced" than someone else's, for example like the attitude frequently exhibited by users of 3D modeling programs who assume the "technical sophistication" and "complexity" of a third dimension (egads!) must surely render the use of a merely 2D program brain-dead simple. Their own assumption of "this has to be simple compared to what I already understand" becomes their own insurmountable stumbling block in learning.)

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that long spiel, JETaImage. I don't think any of it had to do with the problem at hand. ¬_¬

Yes, I understand the principles of vector-based graphics, but I need to find a practical way of applying shading techniques to my illustrations. Despite what you said, Illustrator is not so alien in design that some methods can't be reproduced from Photoshop. For example, if I can paint freehand with the Brush tool in Photoshop, I can do the same with the Blob Brush in Illustrator. It's no different! Objects on layers that can be merged in Photoshop can also be merged in Illustrator with the Pathfinder menu. I've learned that much.

So while the traditional method of selecting a surface with a Magic Wand and shading freehand might not work in Illustrator, I'm sure there's a sensible workaround that emulates that effect. Can you please suggest such a technique instead of lecturing me on what can't be done with vector graphics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah and no. Photoshop paints with pixels whereas the blob brush in illustrator creates an object on the go. When your done with the blob brush you have a selectable object and can have a solid color, a gradient or pattern fill. It also can have a stroke. But in no way is is pixel based.

There are a few of ways to shade, that I know of (I am sure there are others)

1)You can create an object for the highlight and apply a gradient to it, then create an object for the shadow and apply a gradient to it.(I should say gradient or solid color depending on the style you are going after)

2)You can create the same two objects, but apply a blend between it and the base object or each other.

3)You can use the mesh tool that can take on the shape of the base object or another object - points are added to the mesh each point represents a solid color that is graded towards the surrounding points.

4)You can use tools to cut up the object to create other shapes that can have their own color or gradient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said: For those with ears to hear.

You're struggling with how to apply fills and strokes to paths as opposed to creating separate paths/layers to intentionally separate line work from coloring (not an uncommon practice for particular methodology; like separating "inking" from "coloring" in comic book workflows) as described in some online "tutorial."

Applying fills/strokes to single paths is as basic as it gets. Read the instructions.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

despite what everyone else already told you and they are right, i'll bite.

so you wan to create shades inside an object using the blob brush tool? i think.

draw the shape you want to fill. select the shape. at the bottom of the tool palette select the "draw inside" button on the right. select the blob tool, and paint. the new vector shape created will be inside the original shape you selected.

seems weird, but that's as close as i can get you. you can use the art brushes too i guess.

other solution would be to use a different program like Affinity Designer. it is similar to illustrator except it will let you paint inside shapes using raster brushes like photoshop.

edit. best solutions is to wort in photoshop as the person above me suggest, except don't convert to raster. copy and paste your illustrations as smart objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the helpful reply mec_os. Not sure if that helps the OP, but that's the solution I was looking for. I figured there must be an easier way than creating duplicate shapes for masks, and drawing inside a shape is just the functionality I wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Can you please suggest such a technique instead of lecturing me on what can't be done with vector graphics?>

If you want to paint shading in a similar fashion to painting in Photoshop, you can use the Bristle Brush. By default, it is applied with transparency. You can constrain the brush by using Draw Inside. However, bristle brush strokes do add up quickly to become a real drain on your resources, so while it might work well for a small amount, a large image is going to be very taxing.

In which case one of the easiest methods for shading in AI I believe has been mentioned: draw an object on top of your main object that represents the shaded area, color it a darker color, then use the Blend Tool to to blend the two shades together. This is much more time-consuming and less natural than using the Bristle Brush, but it's also less taxing on resources.

Of course, you can always go with the old-fashioned look of hatching and cross-hatching. That's pretty easy, pretty natural feeling, and produces a very hand-drawn look.

Part of the difficulty in answering your question is not knowing quite the style, the look, you're going for. There are a dozen other methods for creating the illusion of shading in AI, but they all have a different appearance.

Now if you can composite the image in PS by bringing in your objects on their own layers, you can use PS's layer styles, the Brush, or even the Burn tool (a very old method) to very easily add shading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow can you be anymore condescending?? . Whats sad is you seem to know alot but im not going to listen to anything you have to say because of how much a douche you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's OK, I'm sure JET won't care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, if Glitcher3000 needs help shading in Illustrator, you need help focusing your posts. Try reading your post over. It's incredibly long-winded, pretentious, and in the end, doesn't even answer the question asked.  You could have skipped about 5 paragraphs by saying one sentence: "Forget everything you know about Photoshop when you're using Illustrator, it's completely different. You can achieve object shading Illustrator by........"

Sheesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2016 Jun 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the character of your comment and as rudimentary user, I have been recently tasked with a complex sketch in which my client wants to create a logo. I have covered three hundred pages of the manual to increase the depth of my knowledge. Your post has inspired me to dig deeper into the documentation and become an expert. I love using this program! Thank you for taking the time to post.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop being so snide Mylenium. Most of your recent comments have been like this and they don’t help anyone. Seems you have a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading that post made me want to ditch Adobe altogether. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i think the best answer is, if you want to shade like photoshop, your going to have to use photoshop- best thing would be to set up your artwork in actual size and then convert your vector art to pixel

All these snide comments are just unnecessary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find these custom brushes useful. They are my solution to "realistic" shading in AI. Access them through "Brushes>Open Brush Library>Other Brushes". They can be customized further by changing the brush preferences once they are within the brush panel. They can even be set to "Pressure Sensitive" if you have a digital tablet (make sure you're using them with the "Brush Tool"). They offer a more "organic" approach to shading in AI. Change the stroke width and transparency settings to take full advantage of the brushes.

Free Transparent Fade Brush Set for AI Users - Ray Craighead, Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice - thanks rcraighead. More than I need for my current project, but they look useful and I'll definitely save them for later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say...JETalmage is being a total bad info, Jerk***,  Some people are NEVER going to read that 1000 page plus manual of Illustrator.  MOST of todays users are hands on learners, they learn from tutorials.  They also learn how to handle it through their own personalities.  But I bet you 90% of people dabbling into it will not read that manual.  Really dude?  It's got info but I'd rather count my sock drawer.

Glitcher3000 Shading is done by using Gradient Meshes.  Knowing selection tools is the key to Illustrator as I see it.  It acts very similar to PS in my opinion.  Just the selections tools are a totally new way of thinking...

I suggest you go to Lynda.com and do the first few chapters of Illustrator CC Fundamentals, I have been using it for years and it REALLY helped me understand Adobe.  Adobe is about the learning process of Adobe.  I think you should stick with both tho.  Just dabble with the Gradient Mesh's and screw it up over and over and over, you'll pick it up.

JETalmage gave horrible advise if you are starting off.  I say if you got the software, jump into it... It won't bite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssgt.barnes2010 wrote:

Some people are NEVER going to read that 1000 page plus manual of Illustrator.  MOST of todays users are hands on learners, they learn from tutorials.  They also learn how to handle it through their own personalities.  But I bet you 90% of people dabbling into it will not read that manual.

And I'll bet those 90% will never understand the full potential of the software, and will thus never utilize some of its most powerful features

Taking the time and effort to read once though the manual for a piece of software won't make you an expert in using it, but it will give you an mental overview of the things the software is capable of. That way, when you have a task that could take advantage of the advanced features, you will know that they exist, and can go back and look up the details of how to use them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that JET can be a bit of a p r i c k sometimes but in this case (as in many cases) he’s got things right so there’s no need to diss him so completely

Photoshop and Illustrator are completely different beasties.

In Photoshop you select areas and manage the pixels within them.

In Illustrator there are no pixels. You are basically dealing with path-based objects that can, on occasion, have Photoshop-based effects applied to them.

To shade an object you can, for example, use transparent gradients or gradient meshes, possibly in conjunction with clipping masks or opacity masks.

This normally usually involves creating new objects or possibly new fills.

Think in terms of stacks of objects that interact with each other. It’s totally different thinking than with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He's completely wrong about tutorials, because he can sit there and read a 1000 page document, many people don't and online Tutorials are still good.

Thats like saying Video CoPilot doesn't have good ones...  I dispute that.

Yes the tools are different...HOWEVER.  Masking is still the big ticket.  If you know Photoshop you can learn Illustrator.  It takes a bit of time but its doable.  And Blending Modes too are also used in photoshop.  Same process different buttons.  Illustrator is with out a doubt a bit better at a few things. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is with out a doubt a bit better at a few things. 

The whole point about working with vectors is that there is no resolution to bother with. You can transform objects repeatedly without damaging anything.

If you do this in Photoshop you lose quality, especially with repeated transforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The best thing to do is get a lynda.com tutorial account and search the tutorials for TWO things.

1.  Deke's Techniques, Gradients, Illustrator

How Gradients Work In Illustrator Cc

2. Gradient Meshes.

Creating Gradient Meshes with Illustrator | Lynda.com

Look those up

(learned it from the tuts)

Learning to use the Gradient tool is pretty cool.

Feeling comfortable with the tool bars on the left is what you also need. 

You can also start here this will help you understand. 

Illustrator CC 2015 One-on-One: Fundamentals | Lynda.com

Seems to people on this page want you to do it they way THEY had to bust their asses doing it.  Tuts are just as bust ass.  Depends on your learning style...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines