• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to shape seamless pattern into a non-uniform shape?

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new to illustrator. I have a seamless vector pattern that's uniform. I would like to somehow deform this pattern to fit in a predefined shape(area). The pattern will need to taper to a point in one end and somehow curve into a horn shape. See attached image. Both graphic is vector. Is there anyway I can achieve this in illustrator?

Thanks.

Shaun

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 8.37.05 AM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

You may have some luck by using envelope distorts, but probably you can get better results by creating a pattern brush and then use the Width tool to modify the brush stroke as desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Making sure that the horn shape is the top layer, try Object>Envelope Distort>Make with Top Object and see if that gets you what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

You have some good suggestions from Kurt and Michelle. I don't know if it matters to you that with either method there will be distortion of the pattern. That is, while the pattern height will change, the width will not. For example, this is the pattern made into a brush and applied to a path. You will get a similar result using Make with Top Object.

image.png

It will be tricky to avoid that kind of distortion, but if it is important, you could try to first put the pattern into perspective using Illustra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have some luck by using envelope distorts, but probably you can get better results by creating a pattern brush and then use the Width tool to modify the brush stroke as desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making sure that the horn shape is the top layer, try Object>Envelope Distort>Make with Top Object and see if that gets you what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have some good suggestions from Kurt and Michelle. I don't know if it matters to you that with either method there will be distortion of the pattern. That is, while the pattern height will change, the width will not. For example, this is the pattern made into a brush and applied to a path. You will get a similar result using Make with Top Object.

image.png

It will be tricky to avoid that kind of distortion, but if it is important, you could try to first put the pattern into perspective using Illustrator's perspective grid. Then expand the pattern so that you can work with it independently of the perspective grid. It will look something like this:

image.png

You could then make it into a brush, apply it to a curved path, and use the Width tool to adjust it, and get something like this:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines