• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to smooth edges on a font

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I've made this rose gold coloured logo using the clipping mask on the font, but the edges of it seem rough and jaggered especially when presented on a dark background. How can I smooth out the edges of the font?

Artboard 1.png

[ attachment inserted as inline image by moderator ]

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the edges are vectors, the rough edges are just a preview issue. If you export as a png or another format, take a look how that looks

LMK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this is how they look as a png and jpg. It just doesn't quite look as smooth as I was hoping. Also do you know why when I generate a jpg it gets a grey line down the side of the file?

Artboard 1.pngartboard2.PNGRose Icon-100.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What is the resolution of the JPG/PNG? maybe is low. If you increase the resolution or the size before you export you will have better result.

Also you used a clipping mask, what element you clipped? an gradient?

you don't have to clip a gradient, you can apply the gradient to the logo directly, just saying

I don't know about the gray line, I have to see the file to tell you

BTW, looks nice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clipped an image of a metallic rose type texture. 

I think the problem could by my screen. It looks fine on my laptop but the larger screens both have a jaggard edge. And then weird thing is that the gray line comes up around the edge when viewed on my laptop but not on the big screens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the gray line might be a viewer feature. What's happen when you open it, saying, in Photoshop?

Does the texture have anything but gradient? If not, you can decrease the file complexity applying the proper gradient directly to logo like Euhenio says.

About the image quality: the problem might be in the resolution difference between devices.

Saying, your laptop has a diagonal 15" (it's just an example) and 1920x1080 px resolution, and the bigger screen has, emm, 23" and 1920x1080 px resolution. Generally this means that the pixels there are quite bigger than on the laptop, and you can see them better, this makes the edge weird. 

On the modern phones the resolution is higher, and your image (e.g. 1080x1080 px) might be too small to show it "pixel-to-pixel", if the image container is "full screen" like in Instagram. So the viewer tries to enlarge it and makes some distortions.

So, the solving is, as Euhenio says, to define the target resolution right and set it before export. And for JPG check the compressing settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines