Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to split up one shape into several shapes with text in

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a shape filled in with text and I want to split up that shape into several shapes but still have the text in perfect order. Make sense? split shape.jpg

TOPICS
Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

It's pretty easy, Kasper.

- Draw an area type object and fill it with some placeholder text.
- Open the Area Type Options (see Type menu).
- Choose the number of rows and columns and the gutter settings.
- Type a big "R" in a separate type object and convert it to paths.
- Draw a rectangle around the "R" shape, select both and make a compound path (see Object menu).
- Select the area type object and the compound path.
- Go to the Object menu > Text Wrap > Make.
- Modify the text wrap options, if desi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would test:

- option 1: rasterise and cut

- option 2: outline the text first, then cut

It depends what you want to do with your artwork. Can you share more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK let me see if I can explain it 🙂

I'm going to deliver a print for a window surface. A print with a lot of names inside an character and I'm going to deliver each window as an artboard/print. But the thing is I still want to have the names in perfect order. I have a attached a new mockup. Maybe it will make more sense.names-windoes.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could do this by making a document with nine artboard that have no gutters between them. 

Fill your box with the text of the names, and place the large letter above it. Select both and use Object > Clipping Path > Make

When you export the file as a PDF, you will have nine artboards that line up perfectly. You could even add bleed, if needed. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 7.27.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-11 at 7.35.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-11 at 7.42.53 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the type live or outlined? You can make all the new shapes into Area text and then select them and from the Type menu select Thread Text. When you paste the type into the first shape it will flow into the others in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on how you want your type as Eric Dumas mentioned in the thread.

Share more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

It can be done with various pathfinder operations, but I would probably do it with some transparency interactions, followed by flattening the transparency and some clean-up efforts to separate the desired blocks (using the Select menu > Same > Fill Colour commands).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to keep the geometry of the text flow, you can do follow:

1. Create your shape and fill by text like you wish

1.PNG

2. Draw the needed external shapes

2.PNG

3. Use Pathfinder > Unite to unite the shapes and Object > Compound Path > Make to combine them into the single shape.

4. Put the new shape above the texted one and create Clipping Mask (Ctrl/Cmd+7).

3.PNG 

5. Adjust the print tiling as you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna

Thanks a lot. I'ts more or less what I'm looking for.

How do I avoid to cut out some of the characters when I do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kasper,

Here is a hurried belated answer (delayed by urgencies).

As I (mis)understand it, you wish to have the names fit a paned window, with the text within an overall (letter) shape spanning the panes, with one continuous consistent text flow througout all lines (so that any change in one line will change the following lines by reflow), and crucially with each line of text flowing across the panes but jumping from one pane to the next so no letter is cut or (partially) missing.

I am afraid that high quality of this will require a careful adaptation, in a customized way, probably iterative.

You could consider something like this (or something less silly), description based upon the screenshot of the R within 3 x 3 panes:

Basis:
0) Start out with the R filled with live Type;

Adaptation:
1) Create a representation of (a sufficient part of) the glazing bars (or whatever you have separating the panes and carrying no text) in the form of one fill/nostroke Compound path with the relevant panes as counters/holes on top of the R, roughly centred:

2) Adapt the size of the R to fit the height as desired, the R should extend from the top of the 1st row of panes to the bottom of the the 3rd row of panes, so across 3 panes and 2 separators; this will probably give a reflow;
3) Adapt the size of the Type size so that a whole number of lines fit within the height of the 1st row of panes; this will probably give a reflow;

Destruction, save the above and work on a copy (set):
4) Place a copy of the separator path from 1) on top of the an empty/textless copy of the adapted R from 2) and Pathfinder>Minus Front, see link below, then Ungroup and possibly rearrange stacking order from top left to top right ending at bottom right;
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/cutting-dividing-objects.ug.ht...

5) Divide each path into a row of paths corresponding to the number of Type lines in each pane, you can use a number of lines and Divide Object Below, see link above, and possibly rearrange stacking order from top left to top right ending at bottom right;
6) Insert the Type into the top left path and Use the Threading text between objects, see link below;
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/creating-text.ug.html#threadin...

7) Enjoy or iterate or try something less silly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another way that uses live type (Illustrator CC format, ca. 100 kb).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k_4OWCbZeHYnWkCYIQgU8AWNHnHlQ6ri/view?usp=sharing

You can change the gutters with the Area Type options dialog and additionaly fine-tune the construction with the Text Wrap options. 

If you are done with the live type, you may do a Flatten Transparency command (see Object menu) or just convert the type to paths in order to finally separate the portions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt,

This is definitely the way to do it and thanks a lot for your file!

I really like to learn it. Can you guide me how to do it from scratch? 🙂

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty easy, Kasper.

- Draw an area type object and fill it with some placeholder text.
- Open the Area Type Options (see Type menu).
- Choose the number of rows and columns and the gutter settings.
- Type a big "R" in a separate type object and convert it to paths.
- Draw a rectangle around the "R" shape, select both and make a compound path (see Object menu).
- Select the area type object and the compound path.
- Go to the Object menu > Text Wrap > Make.
- Modify the text wrap options, if desired.

There may be some overset text. Delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines