Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to switch from Arabic type setting to English

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

suddenly and with no apparent reasons - my default type settings in illustrator 2020 are Arabic (RTL and Hindi digits ect etc) as per images attached

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 12.01.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-10 at 12.02.46 PM.png

I'm living and working in UAE - but my language has always been set as English UK in the settng panel preferences and never had an issue before. Now i have to set manually the text tool everytime i want to use it - super annoying!

Does anyone know how to set English as default 

Thanks,

Max

TOPICS
Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

In Adobe InDesign, we change application defaults by simply closing any open documents, change the font to Gill Sans, change paragraph directions, dictionary language, and any other formatting. From there on, any new document you create in InDesign will remember your new defaults that suit Latin language users, but this is only in InDesign.

In Illustrator however it is a longer issue, to my knowledge you need to change your file profile. For instance, if you use the "Print" profile, you will hav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Hi! I had the same problem. In a past CC version, I did download InDesign for Arabic fonts. I remember setting this up in my Creative-Cloud downloader. - This isn't the case anymore. Any software version can have its language and style-writing altered without having to download a new version for it.

What did the trick for me is goign to InDesign Preferences

- Dictionnary

- Autocorrect

- Story Display Editor

and choosing: English

+

Advanced Type: 

Input Method Options

> deseclect "use inlien for non-Lat

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

I had the same problem it turned out to be keyboard preference language you can change it in the task bar, you will see ENG or AR open it it will open a small window then start typing in AI then when typing to hindi or arabic click small language window and select english and problem You will be solved

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

@danielfeary You may consider installing two versions of Illustrator, one can be the Middle Eastern version for Arabic jobs, and the other version can be of a different language such as English for your regular jobs.

This way you don't have to bother about changing Ai profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Preferences > Hyphenation > Default Language

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Anna,

thanks a lot for you reply - unfortunately i did already and nothing changed.

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 1.25.51 PM.png

Hyphenation is set to English UK - but the default font still Adobe Arabic and the default type tool is set to Right to Left

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe InDesign, we change application defaults by simply closing any open documents, change the font to Gill Sans, change paragraph directions, dictionary language, and any other formatting. From there on, any new document you create in InDesign will remember your new defaults that suit Latin language users, but this is only in InDesign.

In Illustrator however it is a longer issue, to my knowledge you need to change your file profile. For instance, if you use the "Print" profile, you will have to change all defaults in a new document, name this new document as Print.ai to replace the one that comes "out of the box" with Illustrator.

Check this link of how to change Illustrator defaults on your Mac or Windows machine. I also prepared a video a few years ago which may help you perform this task.

Another thing, if you don't use Arabic at all, you may as well remove existing Illustrator version, and download an International English version instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zaid,

thanks a lot i will follow your guide which seems very well done and clear.

I'm only surprise that there is no an easier way to set new type preferences and most importantly - why it happend to me all of the sudden.

Thanks,

Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

this solved my issue. AI is really weird: you ahve to change all default type settings in order to have Illustrator open documents in the right way. My defaults were for Arabic: any document written in 100% English were automatically converted into hindi figures and weird text for repalced fonts.

AI should be more clever than that and automatically detect language and preserve their setting. say I have a paragraph in Arabic, another one in English: opening that document should be transparent.

Otherwise, this post was really helpful. Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, I was stuck in the same problem and Adobe assistance had no idea on how to help me, this SAVED ME! Thank you sooo much for doing this video!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me for some reason, I was so hoping It would

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Salam,

Can you explain the issue better so we can help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zaid should take over Adobes support. Thank you so much, it worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @Zaid Al Hilali !! This has been plaguing me forever. Appreciate your video and advice—it worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I had the same problem. In a past CC version, I did download InDesign for Arabic fonts. I remember setting this up in my Creative-Cloud downloader. - This isn't the case anymore. Any software version can have its language and style-writing altered without having to download a new version for it.

What did the trick for me is goign to InDesign Preferences

- Dictionnary

- Autocorrect

- Story Display Editor

and choosing: English

+

Advanced Type: 

Input Method Options

> deseclect "use inlien for non-Latin (=arabic,etc) text

Default Composer

> select: Adobe World-Ready single-line composer

Now I can finally write in English without gettign my text, numbers, paragraph and punctuation formated to Arabic. Yey

I sincerally hope this info can help other users further in their selecter Adobe softwares.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 18.27.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem it turned out to be keyboard preference language you can change it in the task bar, you will see ENG or AR open it it will open a small window then start typing in AI then when typing to hindi or arabic click small language window and select english and problem You will be solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too: three years after your first post. Installed ME pack for job last year, now I can't stop AI from defaulting to Arabic. Frustrating. Will follow @Zaid Al Hilali video explainer…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@danielfeary You may consider installing two versions of Illustrator, one can be the Middle Eastern version for Arabic jobs, and the other version can be of a different language such as English for your regular jobs.

This way you don't have to bother about changing Ai profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have to jump between Illustrators just because we want to write in Arabic ? Shouldn't there be an option to change the default language & font ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have to jump between Illustrators just because we want to write in Arabic ? 

By @riadhrebei

Not necessarily. The International English, and the English (North America) versions have the option to enable Asian languages (Arabic included) so you can keep the same application and type Arabic. 

If however, you need FULL Right-to-Left controls, then you need to download and install the Middle Eastern version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THanks @Zaid Al Hilali . In the end, that's what I did. Well, I don't have an arabic job currently so uninstalled my existing version of Illustrator and reinstalled an English version. Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines