• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to trace over existing anchor points without interacting with them, in order to fill floor?

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to fill in the floor segments of my axonometric floor plan in Illustrator, to create a visual distinction between different areas of the space (and make the white walls stand out). However, whenever I attempt to fill in what I think is the right shape, I'm getting strange triangulated fills. 

It seems like the old anchor points are getting in my way? I'm not sure, but some anchors have a minus (-) next to them. Others have a star (*). I'm not a sophisticated Illustrator user yet, and I'm not sure how to best trace over my lines without interacting with those underlying anchors. I attempted to do this in layers, but Illustrator seems to recognize the underlying anchor points regardless.

By sheer luck and tenacity I've been able to fill in some of the floor, but not all of it. The remaining white space floors are giving me the most trouble.

Could anyone take a look at my file – and offer your suggestion for how to accomplish the floor fill? For some reason when I've attempted to upload it (it's 1.2 MB, so well within the 47 MB limit), I get an error: The attachment's working file.ai content type (application/postscript) does not match its file extension and has been removed. The file includes lines exported from Rhino, but I copy-pasted everything into a brand new .AI file, so not sure why it won't recognize my file. 

Here's a quick screenshot of the area that's giving me trouble. Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Hey,

I am not sure if this will help but locking everything in the layers box apart from the layer I am working on helps a lot. 

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

For filling the areas with color, try out the shapebuilder tool or live paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am not sure if this will help but locking everything in the layers box apart from the layer I am working on helps a lot. 

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For filling the areas with color, try out the shapebuilder tool or live paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines