• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to transform full icon to outline icon?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I created an icon with Adobe Illustrator that is similar to the instagram icon that is shown on the left side.

What would be the easiest way to transform that icon to the outline version that is shown on the right side?

In other words, how to take the background color from left and put it as the actual color of the icon on the right side?

Thanks!

img-20200909-wa0002.jpg

 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

I would draw the parts in black, create the gradient and use the Mask option in the Transparency panel.

grad mask.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is just to redraw this simple icon with strokes instead of filled shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment.

I can redraw the small white parts again, but how do I fill them all with that background gradient on the same position?

If you can point me with a tutorial link or the actual steps for doing each part it would be very helpful!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would draw the parts in black, create the gradient and use the Mask option in the Transparency panel.

grad mask.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did work.

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

T,

If you have created the full icon with white stroked parts on a colour transition background, I believe you can select the white paths and scale up as desired with Scale Strokes & Effects unticked, then adjust the Stroke Weights if/as desired (you could increase it for the dot and make it the same for the outer and inner paths to make it correspond to the image on the right), then Ctrl/Cmd+8 to turn them into a Compounsd path, then also select the background and Ctrl/Cmd+7 to create a Clipping Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines