Highlighted

How to undo the smoosh after saving and closing

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Illustrator, so I'm guessing this will be an easy fix, but:

After I save something Im working on  (saved as .ai) and close it, if I come back to it later all the elements have been saved into one layer, so I can't keep moving them around separately. It's just become one big image. How do I undo this so I can continue moving stuff around independently? 

Thanks in advance!

Correct answer by Mollynog | Community Beginner

Oof, ok, I just opened it up again to take screenshots for you and now it all works? I have no idea what I was doing wrong or what I did to make it work. 

But for the record, I was saving "normally", just going to Save As and then naming the file and saving it as an .ai file. I've never changed any settings for that or anything. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to undo the smoosh after saving and closing

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Illustrator, so I'm guessing this will be an easy fix, but:

After I save something Im working on  (saved as .ai) and close it, if I come back to it later all the elements have been saved into one layer, so I can't keep moving them around separately. It's just become one big image. How do I undo this so I can continue moving stuff around independently? 

Thanks in advance!

Correct answer by Mollynog | Community Beginner

Oof, ok, I just opened it up again to take screenshots for you and now it all works? I have no idea what I was doing wrong or what I did to make it work. 

But for the record, I was saving "normally", just going to Save As and then naming the file and saving it as an .ai file. I've never changed any settings for that or anything. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Release items to separate layers
  1. In the Layers panel, click the name of a layer or group.
  2. Do one of the following: To release each item to a new layer, choose Release To Layers (Sequence) from the Layers panel menu.

Nifty little tip for you guys! Thanks for watching! TipTutZone [Discord Community Chat]: https://discord.gg/urfY2ne Website: http://www.tiptut.xyz http://www...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work 😞 It looks like it's just repeatedly making the same layer over and over of the whole image. I'm unable to even select the individual elements, the only selection I can make is the entire image. Am I perhaps saving it with weird settings or something?

Mollynog_0-1594390641438.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Molly,

"all the elements have been saved into one layer, so I can't keep moving them around separately. It's just become one big image."

Normally, you can move objects about freely within one layer, so I believe you may mean something else.

If you are inadvertently downsaving to a lower version or maybe something else, you may introduce clipping masks or maybe something else that turns independent objects into Groups.

Ex<actly how are you saving, and how does the contents of you expanded Layer(s) in the Layers palette look before and after?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Molly,

Sometimes there can be a temporary corruption that can simply disappear again just because the application is closed and reopened or the computer is restarted (in both cases it sometimes takes multiple restarts), and hopefully that is what happened, never to happen again.

Those restarts are the easy first suggestions on a long list containing much worse things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2020 0