• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use a gradient stroke with art brush

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just yesterday I was using a gradient stroke with a brush in illustrator and now it has gone back to filling with black. I have searched everywhere and it says that you are not able to do this, but I promise that it was happening somehow. I erased all of the strokes thinking I could continue and that this was a new feature, so I don't have evidence.

Does anyone have the best way to paint with gradients? I've seen the step where it says to group, use pathfinder etc. and even if I could get this to work for me I am hoping there is some new feature that allows it that I stumbled on for a moment.

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without more specific details about your brush and its settings nobody can really tell you much. If you don't know what you did it's unlikely that anyone can figure it out telepathically based on such a vague description, anyway.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you can't help out then dont even bother replying to the comment in the first place

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean seriously anyway. One shot at life you know! The first question is a fair question that can be worded as such." I am using the watercolor section brush and want to know how to get the gradient usable for something other than the basic brush. How may I do that?" Also for anyone else commenting and helping on my post or the first one, I can speak for all of us saying that we want to have a pact down on using all of the gradient brushes for any specific brush type, such as watercolor or paint etc. Unfortunately for the setting on the brushes, you may not apply a gradient to a stroke that has a premade brush on the program such as watercolor splash etc. However, if you do make your own brush you may apply a gradient successfully! We did it and we did it together!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In versions CS6 and above you could apply the gradient directly to the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this tutorial.

Illustrator CS6 | New Gradient Stroke Magic - YouTube

As Monika says, CS6 and later.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monica,

As I (mis)understand it, in older versions you could use an Art Brush based upon a blend.

Are you sure the path has not been changed to its basic appearance or something so it is a matter of reapplying whatever you applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your search results are correct. While you can apply a gradient to a stroke, you cannot apply a gradient to a stroke that has a brush applied to it.

You could Object > Expand the brush stroke. That will result in a filled shape that can have a gradient fill.

If you want to use a brush, here is a workaround:

You could create your own brush or edit one of the brushes that comes with Illustrator. Below is a rectangle filled with a gradient.

That cannot be made directly into a brush, but you can choose Object > Expand. OK.

Drag that into the Brushes panel and choose Art Brush for type of brush

Now you can paint with your new gradient brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Barbara!

I've figured out how to add the gradient into the stroke, but can't quite figure out how to create a new brush that allows me to paint with a gradient. I'm not sure how I was doing this before yet, but happy now with this fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you want the brush to look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand your question. You create new brushes by first designing the brush then dragging the artwork into the brushes palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barbara thank you so much, you save my day 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have A Problem...
When I make Your Solution And Get To The Point That  I Click The Brush Tool And In An UnExpected Moment The Illustrator Crashes And EveryTime I Do It... It Crashes
Version:CC 2017 32-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I Have A Problem...
When I make Your Solution And Get To The Point That I Click The Brush Tool And In An UnExpected Moment The Illustrator Crashes And EveryTime I Do It... It Crashes
Version:CC 2017 32-bit"

Please tell us exactly what you did step by step.

What you expected to happen.

What actually happened.

Please show screenshots.

And please create a new thread. It's hard to even find your message in this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

barbara you so sweat tanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can draw with a gradient now (since CS5? or CS6 when a gradient is applied to a stroke)

Here is a brush information....

Painting in Adobe Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 3 years now since you faced that problem but today I faced the same scenario as you did 3 years ago. I was using that feaure yesterday and today it's filling grey colour only... So, do you know how to fix this issue now?? Please explain if anybody know something about this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteSo, do you know how to fix this issue now??

By @bahuguna_4

Which issue?

There are a couple in the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to use gradient with th brush tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it happening on a specific file or on new docs too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't use gradients with art brush, pattern brush or scatter brush.

Using gradients with calligraphy brush or bristle brush is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have to rasterize the shape (with your gradient) before dragging it into your brushes to make an art brush. Then it will work. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines