• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use Perspective Distort on placed image?

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys! I hope you can help me..

I added an area rug into Illustrator and I want to use the Perspective Distort tool to make the rug look like it is laying on the floor. By using the Free Transform tool, it allows me to scale, sheer, and rotate the rug, but it will not let me use the Perspective Distort.. I am not sure why and I can't find any videos to help me with this. Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Nicole

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Select the rug image (I'm assuming it's a photo/raster image of some sort), go to Object menu > Envelope Distort > Make with Mesh, and set both Rows and Columns to 1, click OK. You should be able to use the Perspective Distort Tool.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the rug image (I'm assuming it's a photo/raster image of some sort), go to Object menu > Envelope Distort > Make with Mesh, and set both Rows and Columns to 1, click OK. You should be able to use the Perspective Distort Tool.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Peter! That worked :):)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Nicole!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMPORANT MARK!
You have to embed your image into document (EMBED button in Control panel or Properties panel). After that you will be allowed to distort the image any way — using Free Transform tool, Envelope Distort with any base, Free Distort effect. Linked objects are not allowed now to distort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anna! However it was already embeded.. I was able to get it to work though 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna, just to be clear, Free Transform works on any image, embedded or linked, but Perspective Distort, Free Distort, and Free Distort Effect do not unless Envelope Distort is applied (which can only be done on an embedded image). At least those are my results.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you're right. When I checked the workaround, at some moment I created an Envelope distort and then thought it was undoed but it was not. So I wondered why everything was going so well! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines