• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to wrap different objects along a circular path

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched for this method but can't seem to figure out how to wrap different objects along a circular path. Many tutorials simply show patterns or the same object being rotated but I wanted to produce a city landscape such as the one shown below. Any tips or tricks to get started is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 1.59.36 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

pattern brush might work better. your mileage may vary

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could draw your cityscape on a straight plane and then make it into an art brush. (and then apply that to a circle. just make sure the ends match up).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pattern brush might work better. your mileage may vary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doug,

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, pattern brush works better and I still need to tweak it so that it wraps around perfectly. Here's what I came up with.

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 6.38.01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaygoo,

When you wish to have undistorted objects distributed and you know the number, you may use the 1 step fake blend foe each set of objects, with some preparation to make things fit together:

1) First place the objects on a straight horizontal line as they would be on a straight path, with a copy of the first object as the last object;

2) With the centre Reference Point selected in the Transform palette use the X values of the first and last objects to establish the total width for the next steps;

3) Create the circle, copy it in front of itself and cut the copy where you want the centre of the first/last object and establish the total circumference (length) (you should be able to see it in the Document Info palette);

4) Adapt the size of the objects 1) or the circle 3) so that the width and the circumference become identical;

5) Object>Blend>Options>Specified steps, set the value to 1 and set Orientation to Align to Path;

6) Select all the objects and Object>Blend>Make, create a copy just in case (now you have some distorted shapes between the objects, but not for long);

7) Select the Blend from 6) and the circle from 3) and Object>Blend>Replace Spine;

8) Object>Blend>Expand and Ungroup, and delete the distorted shapes, and the copy of the first object (which is on top of it) if you wish;

9) Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I tried to follow your method but I cant get it to work from Step 5-8. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but here is what happened...

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 6.21.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-05 at 6.26.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-05 at 6.27.13 PM.png

obviously im doing something wrong. thanks anyways for your help. greaty appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaygo,

Did you set Orientation to Align to Path in 5), and what does the Blend look like in 6)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I did set the orientation to align. The Blend looks like the last image I posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to do this with a blend you would have to do it with each single object, not with the row.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaygoo,

It seems that some of the complex shapes are just individual paths. What happens if you group them or turn them into (compound) paths, so that each shape is a Compound Path or a Group?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2014 Nov 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response Jacob. Yea I tried to group them and it still distorts for some reason. I'll try to play around with it again later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone ever manage to perfect this paricular issue? My own, albiet brief, experiments using a pattern brush left objects filled with hundreds more points than in the original objects. This looks like a very poor solution to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did anyone ever manage to perfect this paricular issue? My own, albiet brief, experiments using a pattern brush left objects filled with hundreds more points than in the original objects. This looks like a very poor solution to this issue.

By @Gerard28908883dtps

This thread is ten years old.

Please create a new thread and show your objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines