• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How would I achieve a consistent halftone effect inside a shape like this image?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to replicate this typeface as closely as possible:

Ideally the result would be in a vector image. I also want to preserve the randomness you see on the edge of the glyphs. Should I be using Photoshop or Illustrator for this?

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 15.29.59.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop would be more appropriate and, perhaps, a little quicker.  You could start out in Illustrator by setting the type to the size you want ( in the end ) and applying a Black tint ( 85 - 90% ) and then Exporting the file as a .tiff @ 72(?)ppi.  Open the TIFF in Photoshop as a Grayscale image.  To get the stair stepping you want, you may have to reduce the resolution considerably.  For instance, something like 25ppi at your final size.  To blur the edges you can apply a Gaussian Blur ( select only the text and not the background ).  Once you see the blur you want, convert the Grayscale to 1-BIT Black and White ( apply a halftone screen in the conversion dialogs ).  The file size itself will be very small.  Back in Illustrator, you can apply whatever color to the file ( if necessary ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. 

I followed all your steps but the resulting bitmap image didn't come out how I wanted. What values should I input in the halftone screen dialogue option? This is currently what I'm getting. 

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 20.27.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I played around with the halftone screen options and went for a much higher resolution output (1400.)

It's closer but still not quite the look I'm after. Is there any way white dots can be smaller and spaced further apart. At the moment it seems the spacing is too even/ as even as the size. I'd also like it to seem more 'rounded' if that makes sense. In the example, some of the halftone dots seem to stick to eachother, as if they've been stamped on physically.

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 20.38.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"halftone screen options and went for a much higher resolution output (1400.)"

Sorry, I did not mention output resolution.  1400ppi is not enough to generate a good halftone dot.  I recommend using the "Ellipse" shape ad a frequency of around 53 lines per inch.  But, the resolution should be set to 5080ppi.  It will take a little time to render, but you should get a good shape.  It will take some experimenting to get the final look you are after.  Be aware that anything above 50% color will render a reverse dot ( white ) and anything under 50% will render a black dot.  Your color looks like around 80%, so the dot will be white.  The actual size of the dot and the amount of dots depends on the frequency of the halftone and the color tint.  Let me know if this helps and if you need any more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I understand how to create the jagged edges but I'm struggling to produce the same halftone effect as shown in the image. Any ideas on how I could replicate it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text filled with a percentage of grey.

Rasterize Effect > Bitmap > low ppi

Vary the gray and the ppi to get the result you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't seem to give circle halftones no matter what resolution/ tint?

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 21.12.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, the type of halftone dots you want are available in Photoshop, not in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pattern fill?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines