Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hyperlinks in Ai

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

i'm creating a .pdf from an Illustrator file.

the file has several web addresses which need to be hyperlinked for web use

i'm clueless, i have no web experience

all my work in the past has been print design

is this a novice or expert project?

if novice, please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Hi Everyone,

Over the years, retaining hyperlinks in exported PDF files has been a top user request. With Illustrator v27.6 and newer, you can now create & preserve your hyperlinks when exporting your artwork as PDF files.

hyperlink-deeplink.png

For a comprehensive guide on how to create hyperlinks within Illustrator, I recommend checking out this in-depth YouTube tutorial:

Anshul_Saini_0-1691695222081.png

Here are the steps:

1.  Open the "Attributes" panel from the "Window" menu
  2.  Click on the Hamburger menu > Show

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do this in AI. You would need to create buttons in Acrobat or Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I think the people at Illustrator as nuts - why can't we do this simply like in InDesign?
Why is it they make us go to Adobe Acrobat?
MADNESS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so with you, real madness, carless folnish   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can. But in typical Illustrator fashion, the interface for the whole thing is utterly ridiculous.

The resulting PDF is here. Open it and you'll find that the URL is just text (not an image) and is a functioning hyperlink.

1. Select a text object that contains a URL.
  2. Object>Slice>Make.
  3. Object>Slice>SliceOptions.
  4. Slice Type: HTML Text. Turn on the Text is HTML checkbox. Note that the "Text Displayed in Cell" is not, in fact, the text displayed in the cell, but HTML code. Note that you can't edit the code.

If you must do this kind of thing in Illustrator, look up Slices in the online Help for more info.

If, as you say, you're not a web-head, but you want to see how easy building a perfectly sensible simple web page in a drawing program can be, download a demo of Xara Xtreme 5 Pro and try it out for a few days.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2011 Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JETAlmage - great info thanks, helped alot. If you want to hyperlink a logo or an image,which illustrator doesnt allow you to do, you can do this: Place the image where you want it, lock it down. Write the URL to the page you want in a font just large enough to cover the image, if its too wide and not tall enough, make a couple lines of the same URL. Then, do what JETalmage says to do (below), then make the font 0-1% opaqe over the image (it wasnt working for me on 0% opageness.

1. Select a text object that contains a URL.
  2. Object>Slice>Make.
  3. Object>Slice>SliceOptions.
  4. Slice Type: HTML Text. Turn on the Text is HTML checkbox. Note that the "Text Displayed in Cell" is not, in fact, the text displayed in the cell, but HTML code. Note that you can't edit the code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a really easy solution by mistake.

1) Create the hyperlink in Microsoft Word (like an email address or web link). Save the file.

2) Go to your open Illustrator file.

3) File --> Place

4) Select the saved Word document to place. Make sure that you do not check the "remove text formatting" box.

5) Voilà! Your hyperlinks are imported and work when saved as a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works!

Thanks a lot Juli-Jam!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! You saved my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to not contribute to the discussion here but... Illustrator... lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just found a slightly easier way.

Write out the URL, and highlight it. Then, in the Attributes panel choose <Image Map: Rectangle>. In the <URL> field retype your URL. When you save the document as a PDF, the written URL will then be clickable.

I'm guessing this is too late for you, but maybe it will come up for the next person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The,

You do understand, don't you?: That's not a simple text hyperlink; it's an image map.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet, it does not work for me with hyperlinked images on a Mac. The resulting PDF, when opened with Adobe Reader or Acrobat, contains no hyperlinks; however, if I open the PDF with Illustrator, the links are still there. So, the resulting PDF file contains the hyperlink information, but does not make it accessible to Reader or Acrobat.

How can Adobe possibly create software with such a flawed, incompatible feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How can Adobe possibly create software with such a flawed, incompatible feature?"

It's pretty simple - they didn't really intend for people to be trying to make interactive PDFs in Illustrator. What everyone has describe here are more or less workarounds.

If you have access to InDesign, I'd very much suggest you do it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely helped the next person. Thank you so much so the much needed solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked...this si great...doesn't matter that its an image map...it worked and it was simple! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2010 Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bit late, but I have found another way to attach urls to items in Illustrator (CS5).

1. Open the 'Attributes' tool panel CTRL+F11 or Windows >  Attributes
  2. Select the item you want to add a url to
  3. Select either polygon or rectangle from the 'image map' drop down
  4. Type a url in the box below

You can test the link by clicking on the 'browser' button

ScreenShot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thu,

You do understand, don't you?: That's not a simple text hyperlink; it's an image map.

Bert (Plagiarized from JET's earlier post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, now try to save or export to PDF and let me know if the link is still there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only thing that works for me. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how, in true Illustrator fashion, there are 12 different ways to accomplish the same end effect.

(note: this is obviously an exaggeration, there actaully 300+ ways to do the same thing in Illustrator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2010 Dec 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't be surprised if there were that many ways to do something. I haven't seen anybody say to edit the ai file or pdf file in notepad yet. Ooops, I just did. But then again I never tried it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And i want to add one more, maybe the most unorthodox but yet, simplier. I type or paste the URL behind the text that reffer to ths site you wanna go. BUT, the URL goes white (or the color of your background, or with 0 opacity). So, on click, th eURL will attempt to open like you want.

Oh, and working the scale nodes, can give the text the shape you want, that matches the text visible.

Cheers, sorry my english, argentinian english.

NICO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked easily just as Nico describes. I copied the very long HTTP link to the drawing; sized it by pulling/squeezing the "handles" so it was the same size as the word I wanted to be the link; set opacity to 0, which made it disappear; put it on top of the text I wanted to be the hyperlink, then pushed it to the back (which, since the opacity was 0, was really unnecessary). Finally, I made the visible link word blue and put a line under it so it would look like a hyperlink. I then re-embedded the drawing in the FrameMaker file. As I expected, the hyperlink did NOT work from Frame (which a link created WITH Frame will do, if you hold down Ctrl+Alt and click it) — but when I PDFed the FrameMaker document file in which the drawing (and link) appeared, the hyperlink in the PDF worked perfectly. This is ridiculously easy. Thanks Nico!

I consider this a solved problem.

Remember: Doing it this way actually puts the hypertext information IN THE DRAWING, and it should work IN THE PDF containing this drawing regardless of what apps you put it through to get it finally into PDF. This is far preferable than creating a link in the PDF file, which you would have to keep recreating every time it went through a rev roll. Whenever possible, you want to do any permanent editing in the tool you're using to create the source material — in this case, Illustrator.

Bill

Rio Rancho, NM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of the above suggestions to no avail, but something that looks like it worked for me is to insert the link into the PDF using Acrobat (I'm using Acrobat 9 Pro), not Illustrator. I'm planning to attach the PDF I created in Illustrator to an email and want the link in it to be clickable when the recipients open the PDF.

What I found instructions online to do is to have the PDF open in Acrobat, and up on the top toolbar, click Tools > Advanced Editing... > Link Tool. Your cursor will turn into a crosshair with which you can select the area of the PDF image that you want to be a link.

Once done selecting, a dialog box will open, prompting you to choose whether you want the link area you just selected to be visibly outlined or invisible, then what you want a click on the area to do (I chose "Open a web page").

Click "Next", type or copy/paste the URL into the provided box, and click "OK". Now the link is clickable in the open PDF.

Hope this works for others (and for my recipients!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines