Highlighted

I can't this out!

Enthusiast ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working in Illustrator and all of a sudden I cannot use the paint brush tool. When I go to use the paint brush I get a circle with a line drawn through it. The problem is on a picture drawn on (so far) five layers. The fifth layer will let me use the pen but not the paint brush. I need to have .5 dots to do what needs to be done. I thought I had used something to caused the error so I threw out the layer and put in a new one - the problem persisted. I have used the pencil on other layers. I that what is causing this?

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I can't this out!

Enthusiast ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working in Illustrator and all of a sudden I cannot use the paint brush tool. When I go to use the paint brush I get a circle with a line drawn through it. The problem is on a picture drawn on (so far) five layers. The fifth layer will let me use the pen but not the paint brush. I need to have .5 dots to do what needs to be done. I thought I had used something to caused the error so I threw out the layer and put in a new one - the problem persisted. I have used the pencil on other layers. I that what is causing this?

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 29, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I could go on and do the next one and bide my time on while waiting on an answer. On a blank sheet I imported the gif I was using as a template and I couldn't use my paint brush on the new one either. I don't get it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for you to share the file by uploading and providing a link to a hosting site (such as Dropbox)?

Thanks,
Peter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Peter, I can, if I can figure out how to set it up correctly. I've put the file in Dropbox but it is insisting I need to set it up with an actual email address. I cannot upload the file to the support community as it is not accepted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2020 0
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ton.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several of your layers are locked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today everything work FINE!!! Sorry to have spun this into a big deal. I think what happened was I was using the program on Thursday and didn't close it down. When I went to use it yesterday this one simple thing just didn't work. I closed it down last night and today everything works fine! Next time I'll close down the program and open it up again whenever I have such an inexplicable problem!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I said I figured it out, and I did get it to work, but when I went onto the next picture I drew the first form with the pencil and when I went to use the paint brush I kept getting the circle with the line through it. I shut down the program and opened it back up and it worked. I am able to limp through but there does seem to be a problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have a Brush selected from the brush panel?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The one I had was Touch Calligraphy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never found out what caused the problem. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2020 0
Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the paintbrush had a line thru it, sounds like the layer was somehow locked. But if all is working now, glad it worked out. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2020 0
Resources